1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Andrea miniatures

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Gaudin, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Dont know if it is a subject that will interest anyone to discuss.

Not sure if many people are following Facebook, it is alleged that Andrea are currently threatening one of their most talented sculptors with legal action for exposing pictures of certain miniature days before release and demanding that photographs are taken down ( which is daft, because once its out, its out).
    Whilst the argument Andrea have ( and I dont know what the contract is) may be valid it seems a touch heavy handed and aggressive.
    This is coupled with another of their most talented sculptors leaving some time ago because of the way he was treated ( so I was told).

I cant help to notice that recent Andrea releases quality isn't what it used to be, be it sculpting or box art or the concept of the piece.

Just wondering if anyone else noticed or am I not seeing a full picture? Is this a sudden decline of a giant or is it something that has been seen for a while?
    Steve and DEL like this.
  2. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I'd agree it does seem a bit heavy-handed (if true).

Cautionary note: In discussing this, we should take care not to start any unsubstantiated "Chinese whispers" about a manufacturer going into decline, with people pitching up on other forums, Facebook, Twitter etc. saying stuff like "I read on Planet Figure that Andrea are in trouble", because such things can be damaging to a company. So far I've seen no evidence that this is the case, and with that in mind I've taken the liberty of tweaking the title of the thread. Let the discussion proceed - but with care.

- Steve
    peedee, DEL and Gaudin like this.
  3. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Seems consistent behaviour for a company that has as far as I know never identified or credited its sculptors and which likes to spend a lot of effort on marketing. They are maintaining a brand rather than marketing an artist so it makes sense they would want a corporate release of new products.

I can't speak to quality.
    peedee, DEL, Gary D and 3 others like this.
  4. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Agreed, thank you, Steve. To be honest I think that discussion has exhausted itself already
    peedee and Babelfish like this.
  5. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I would have thought it would have been a good idea to put it in pertential customers minds. but they have the last say so it must be in thier contracts who knows. we will see the figure soon enough.

Ian
    peedee likes this.
  6. custer760 Well-Known Member

Just got the Warrior of the North game of Thrones bust in Kulmbch and the Casting is perfect,the service was top notch.Dont think that they are going downhill at all.....Excellent bust.
    Regards
    Pete
    Gaudin likes this.
  7. TADATSUGU Guest

The legal action bit (if true),is somewhat of an over-the-top reaction but I would also have expected the sculptor to have requested Andrea's approval first. This seems to to me, to be be a moral requrement at least. If the piece had been commissioned by Andrea surely it is their property legally not the sculptors?
    As to quality, I have always had fluctuating opinions on their stuff, some I thought were overly romanicised in their presentation, (the big western set pieces, the napoleonic gun team etc), others I would say, are some of the best figures ever produced. For me it's always been a case of personal preference.
    As to the company itself, I have did miss them at Euromilitaire last year. It also occured to me, having approached their stall in search of some older figures (that they had not brought), that they were probably losing sales by concentrating on their newer product.
    This was not the case, for example, with Pegaso, who took a lot of my money on older figures, particularly some 54mm and 75mm product on which they were closing production and selling off at discounted prices.
    I hope Andrea continue to produce quality stuff for some time yet, but maybe they should re-consider their marketing strategy for this sie of the channel.
    Off topic, it also makes me wonder what most of the European, (as opposed to British) companies intend to do at this year's militaire, considering that the current exchange rate makes it so inviting to just order from them over t'internet.
    Babelfish likes this.