1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Andrea Miniatures - The Old Fiddler (Updated photos)

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by arxo, Feb 12, 2012.

1. arxo Active Member

Greece
    Hello everyone,

This is my latest figure, an excellent and beautiful piece from Andrea miniatures, and my first attempt at 54mm...

It requires minimum cleaning or filling, but you have to plan ahead (I didn't) in order to correct minor fitting issues (fits almost like LEGO - but you have to be careful about the gaps left between the figure and the bench and the head/hand with the torso...(and spare yourself the frustration and the glue and re-glue efforts)

It is painted with acrylics as a gift to my wife (a sure and fireproof way to avoid enquiries about the rest of the minis in the 'workbench' - :whistle:)

Coat and pants were painted using Andrea black set and using a kinda reverse way. Coat was based on pure black and lightened with 2nd shadow, 1st shadow and Base black (no. 1 in the set) while pants where based with Base black (no.1) and lightened with 1st and 2nd light and for deep shadows with 1st shadow (with maybe a tiny bit of black for the crotch area)...

The violin is painted using inks, brown, chestnut and yellow.
    The little dog is painted using Deck Tan, Off white and Ivory...
    The bench with Scale green and black and white for the marble effect...

Face was painted using Vermillion for the red cheeks in the base flesh mix and Violet for the deep shadows, after 3 attempts and one clean-up with alchohol !:mad:

For the tiles in the pavement I wanted a colorful pattern, so I used any color available, and then dry-brushed with off-white to give a more 'dusty' look...

The bottle was painted fast while the reds were not completely dry and that resulted in a glossy effect that I am not sure if I can ever replicate ! I kinda 'pressed' the colors together...

The figure is rich with details and will give you a great time painting (IF you plan ahead - a lesson well learned !!!)...
    (pay attention to the 2 little coins in front of the dog's paws - truly amazing attention to details !!)

Thank you for your time and comments, all welcome...
    Mike Stevens, Steve and Mariner like this.
  2. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Re: Andrea Miniatures - The Old Fiddler

A lovely and neat job on a great little figure. Thanks for the level of detail provided as it's always difficult to photograph black and do justice to the depth of shading.
    Cheers
    Derek
  3. Mariner Active Member

Canada

Beautifully done! Your wife should let you buy more models for this:D
    Thanks for the tips, too.
    Mary
  4. arxo Active Member

Greece

Thank you all for your comments...I just realised that in my effort to 'correct' the badly lit photos, that I took with my pocket camera, in Photoshop, I pumped up the red channel and the figure looks too redish...I have to find a way to shoot better photos and perhaps I should re-post these...:(
  5. arxo Active Member

Greece
    Please accept my apologies for removing the previous pictures...

In my effort to correct the previous badly lighted ones I overused photoshop filters thus creating something 'else'...this time I think I used the camera/lights better (another lesson learned)...

The below pictures represent more accurately my painting and I hope all of you who commented still like what you see... :eek:

Thank you

Attached Files:

• wb1.jpg
      wb1.jpg
      File size:
      182.8 KB
      Views:
    • wb2.jpg
      wb2.jpg
      File size:
      187.2 KB
      Views: