1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Andrea Miniatures "SAMURAI" Bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by giorgiomalteser, Sep 2, 2009.

1. giorgiomalteser Active Member

Malta
    For my next project, a Samurai bust from Andrea Miniatures.
    The kit is totally in pewter and heavy. It comes with a small angled bracket to affix on a base. I recommend that anyone doing this kit affixes the bracket in place before gluing the back part of the bust as it would be rather difficult screwing the bracket down onto the base.
    The fitting of the parts is not exactly great considering it's an Andrea kit. In fact, I spent a lot of time adjusting the main pieces together, filling gaps and general cleaning up from flash and mold marks.
    Having said that, the sculpting and intricate details are great and if done properly it can turn out to be one of the best Andrea busts to-date.
    Now that all major parts have been primed I shall leave it to dry for a couple of days and then start the painting process.:D

DSCN0052.jpg
    DSCN0053.jpg
    DSCN0054.jpg
    DSCN0055.jpg
  2. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Wow Giorgio, this will look awesome when painted. What scale is it?
  3. giorgiomalteser Active Member

Malta
    It's a 1:8 scale, so it's a biggy. The more I handle it the more I realize the nice sculpting that went into it.
    The sculptors were L.F. Martin and F.Andrea if I recall correctly.
  4. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    A classic from Andrea and one of my favorites from them. Always wanted to get my hands on one of these, they're getting hard to find nowadays. Looking forward to seeing what you do with this one.

Jay H.
  5. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Giorgio, looking forward to following the progress and seeing your choice of colour selections.
    Many thanks for showing.
    Cheers Ken
  6. giorgiomalteser Active Member

Malta
    Have now started putting a base coat on the bust. I wanted to get the look right first so I started from the face and eyes, which at the end of the day makes or breaks a good miniature as you all know.
    No highlights and shadows until I get the figure all covered with a basic coat.:)

DSCN0056.jpg
  7. rheath Active Member

South-Africa
    Samurai Bust.

GOOD GOOD !! nice start, will be great to see the finished piece.

Thanks for posting, RobH.
  8. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Great start Giorgio, those eyes are terrific.
  9. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Excellent start.The eye's already have it.
    Looking forward to your next pictures.

marc
  10. giorgiomalteser Active Member

Malta
    Long weekend ahead. Hoping to do lotsa painting :)
  11. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This looks like a stunning bust with some exellent sculpting, would love to get my hands on this one.

painting looks very good so far, the eyes have that intense look which suites the bust well.

Steve
  12. giorgiomalteser Active Member

Malta
    Andrea Samurai Bust WIP

Just a quick update folks. Presently working on the breast armor and front part of the bust. Face is still on base coat and the flesh colors will go on at the last stage.

DSCN0071.jpg
  13. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    Great progress.
    I was Japanese, but Japanese was surprised, too.
    The design of the armor is very beautiful.
    I'm looking forward to completion of your work.

Mitsutaka
  14. giorgiomalteser Active Member

Malta
    Thanks Hikaru, here are some more updates.

DSCN0072.jpg
    DSCN0073.jpg