1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Andrea Miniatures Paint Set

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by deaglesham, Dec 26, 2007.

1. deaglesham New Member

Canada
  2. mikec55 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    I use a combination of Vallejo, Model Master, & Liquitex myself. A lot of people swear by Andrea paints but I have read some complaints as well here & on other websites. I don't remember what the biggest complaint was but, among acrylic users, Vallejo seems to be the preferred paint. Hope this helps.

Mike
  3. mikec55 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Reading is a skill & having just reread my first reply, I don't seem to have completely answered your question. If the package includes a figure, brush, paints, a base, & the how-to book, it sounds like the perfect package for a beginner. As you gain experience, you'll possibly start experimenting with different paints, whether they're acrylics, enamels, or oil.

Mike (again)
  4. theseeker Member

United-States
    It took me a while to get comfortable Andrea paints, but once you get the hang of thinning them, they are good. I use them for uniforms but I still use oils for flesh.
  5. Roc Active Member

United-States
    In my opinion I think Liquitex acrylics are the best.
    I'm an oil painter, but occasionally I do paint in acrylics.

Happy New Years

Cheers
    Roc
  6. theseeker Member

United-States
    Roc,

Do you mean Liquitex in the tube?
  7. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Rock, I do mean the Liquitex in the tube.
    It works for me, and you really get your money's worth.
  8. deaglesham New Member

Canada
    Thanks for advice guys. I'm still considering on getting it, but not sure yet as I'm still looking into using oils as well.
  9. Glen Active Member

United-States
    Hello Doug,

The Andrea paint set - the one with the knight - was my introduction to painting figures with acrylics. You will find it an excellent start. As you acquire skills you will inevitably acquire more brushes and paints. This will happen sooner than later, so plan on their acquisition once you start working on the figure included in the set. IIRC, the set only includes one brush. Ditto for tools if you don't have them already.

I have used both Andrea and Vallejo paints for years now and have found little, if any, real difference between them. They are chemically compatible, intermixable, and dry flat - although side-by-side I have found most of the Andrea paints to be flatter.

One issue involves marketing - Vallejo paints are marketed as a hobby paint and there are over 200 (?) colors in the line. Andrea paints are marketed as a figure paint - there are only 60 colors in the line, plus a few new skin tones (which may not be available separately - I'm not sure, I haven't looked in a while). Here in the US, I find far more shops carrying Vallejo than I do Andrea.

I'm sure you are also aware of the differences in technique between oils and acylics. The Vallejo web site has a couple of excellent 'how-to' articles on using their paints. It is equally applicable to Andrea paints.

HTH and good luck with your efforts.

Cheers,

Glen