1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Andrea Miniatures 54mm Teddy Roosevelt

Discussion in 'Brutal Honesty - Critique Center' started by KRT, May 18, 2012.

1. KRT New Member

United-States
    Hello All, I recently attended the Julio Cabos workshop at the Lone Star Figure Show and this was the figure we used to work on. I took it home and cleaned it up further and started to repaint in a more high contrast style than I have previously done. I know it doesnt look extremely high contrast in the pictures but in person it is a bit less bright. The flash on the camera has whitened out a lot of shadows particularly on the blues on the front of the shirt but its a choice of image stabilization or flash on my camera. Still I wanted to get some feedback on ways I can improve. If there are suggestions or recommendations then please let me know.
    IMG_0417.JPG IMG_0422.JPG IMG_0423.JPG IMG_0424.JPG
  2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Hiya Kevin. To me it looks as though you applied the paint too thickly.
    The transition from the highlight to the cheek could be smoothed out.
    On the shirt, there isn't any variety in the tone of the shading.
    In that, I think you could increase the depth of the deepest shadows, and apply some mid tones.
    The same with the suspenders and trousers.
    The neck scarf and the shirt appear to be the same blue.
    You could push the highs on the edges of the leatherwork, that would make it stand out more.
    All this could be down to the photos, if that is the case completely ignore my inane ramblings.
    The placement of the shading and highlighting is very good, and it is a very tidy paint.
    Hope this is received the way I intended it,;)
    Carl.(y)
    combatartist likes this.
  3. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    I´m with Carl, I think this is not a good choise figure to a beginner, blue, white and leathers are not an easy task.
    The eyes are odd and very assimetric, try painting them with a good optivisor and or arm must be supported to your hand become steady enough.
    Overall you done a fair job, keep painting, dont give up mate, this is an endless road and your next figure will be better and so on.

Pedro.
    combatartist likes this.
  4. KRT New Member

United-States
    Thanks for the feeback guys. I will take these suggestions and go back and do some rework on it. Carl your deadon about the tonal variety on the shirt. I will try to add some midtones and darken the shadows. Still lots of learning to do so I appreciate the responses.
    Kevin
  5. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    You're more than welcome Kevin.
    Still a great piece of work,
    Carl.(y)
    pmfs likes this.
  6. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Anything just ask!

Pedro.