1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Andrea Hussar Bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by johnbrewer, Feb 11, 2004.

1. johnbrewer New Member

Not connected to this thread, really but it did get a mention at the start. I was digging through some old pictures and found this one just for Joe Hudson. the last tartan I painted on a figure. This along with a lot of other stuff was thrown out when I got a bit hacked off with the whole subject of modelling a couple of years back, but that is a story with a lot of strong language not suitable for this forum.

Attached Files:

2. johnbrewer New Member

Some more progress on the Hussar, just the highlights to go

Attached Files:

3. johnbrewer New Member

Not really happy with this, another attempt needed I think.

Attached Files:

4. johnbrewer New Member

after seeing it on the screen, awfull it will all need doing again :angry:
  5. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    No.No.No John... It looks great! That blue looks awesome (y)

What don't you like?
  6. johnbrewer New Member

Jason, kind words but i think that the attempt at the gold looks bad
  7. frank h Well-Known Member

England
    Hi John
    I was told once that a figure is never really finished.
    I believe this to mean there are always areas that can be improved
    upon. Many years ago I spent alot of time and effort being
    dissatisfied with my painting, stripping metal figures with nitro-mors.
    All I learnt was how to strip a figure.

Your Hussar bust looks fine If you are unhappy with certain areas
    correct with paint

I found I could quite easily(and still do) paint myself into trouble
    but what I learnt was how to correct and get out of it.

I wish you every success with this project

Frank (y)
  8. Lou Masses Member

United-States
    John,

I can't really say it looks bad from the photo. Do you use brown as a basecoat? Or do you simply apply the gold?

Lou
  9. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    John,

The Hussar is coming along nice and I really appreciate the tartan!

Joe
  10. olly_usafsoc New Member

Looks good to me...
  11. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey John!

I don't think its bad either, its just unfinished. Franks words of wisdom are so very true, great way to put it. Just play around with it and take it from there!
  12. Robin Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Dood, its ok , but as we all know we are own best critics if you aint happy with it you hvae to live with it.

The number of time I have redone stuff

Robin

The kitchen fixer, plasterer and all round non painter at the moment
  13. Dani A. New Member

Hello,

It may be because it is at an early stage of painting, but I think the gris argentin you have mixed for the dolman is too blue and too dark (the latter could be the lighting, too).

HTH,

Dani
  14. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    And remember that photography, particularly with a flash, can rev up the contrast far more than real life. The face looks good to me. Perhaps you need some heavier shading in the doman and pelisse. And note that an hussar never looks right until the pelisse fur and lacing/buttons are done. Take it from someone who loves to do hussars.

Re. Dani's question on gris argentan - that would be right for the 3rd regiment but I thought you were doing the 5th?

Cheers

Colin
  15. Dani A. New Member

Hi,

John mentioned the box art showed a Hussar from the 5ème, but that he would like to change it to the 3ème, in fact some discussion on gris argentin was started. Of course, if he has finally settled on the 5ème, which used bleu-de-ciel dolmans, then forget what I've said...

Dani
  16. johnbrewer New Member

Dear all, there will be a small delay in doing work on the bust, i have had a trip to the Doctor and the advise is to keep clear of any close up work for a few days until my headaches die down a bit. This could explain why I have been such a been tempered git for the last week or so. Hopefully will get the all clear soon.
  17. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Sorry to hear about the headaches John......hope they are better soon and you can get back to painting. Take you time as your health is more important. Keep us posted on how you are doing.
  18. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Hey,John,I totally agree with Guy on this;do take care of your health and get well soon ! The "planet" will be a poorer place if you are totally out of the hobby for good.Cheers.
    Kenneth :lol:
  19. johnbrewer New Member

Guy and Kenneth, thank you
  20. johnbrewer New Member

Ah, the slings and arrows of outlandish fortune. It seems that my Doctor is a big fan of well painted model projects, or keeping it within the lines as Lou Masses puts it.
    My headaches have died down in the last few days. This of course means they have been caused modelling, well according to the medical expert, (must have been all that banging my head on the table when it does not go right!). So I have been told to lay off for a whole month!!!!!!! :eek: .
    If after this my headaches do not come back I will be allowed to paint a bit. The other side of this is that if they return after, it really is all caused by the modelling. Who wants to buy some paints?. If they come back within the month I must have something else wrong with me ;) , paints could still be on offer!. A real case of do you want the good news or the bad news first.
    Anyone want to buy a half painted Andrea Hussar bust?