1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Andrea Hussar Bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by johnbrewer, Feb 11, 2004.

1. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Agreed! What a beaut!!!

Keith
  2. johnbrewer New Member

I would love to sat that I have got some work done on the bust. But work plus bad cold plus inability to mix a half way decent flesh colour means nothing done. :(
  3. johnbrewer New Member

I have stripped the horrible flesh attempts off and redone the enamel undercoat. I have used Bill Horans mix for this. I have also pre shaded the shadow areas as per the excellent piece by Lou Masses in a recent Historical Miniatures. Hopefully I will get some fleash done this weekend and make a proper attempt at it.
  4. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Sounds great John! The bust is a fine piece of art. How about some pics?
  5. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    John, have you made a decision yet on the regiment? Is it going to be the 5th or another one?
    (Could it be that the box art picture shows a hussar of the 9th regiment?)

Well, I guess it's a tough choice... I can imagine that you'd wish you could have five busts to paint different regiments. :lol:
  6. johnbrewer New Member

Spot on Johan, the choice of which regiment to paint is mind numbing. I may go for the 3rd as it different in grey.
  7. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    John,

The colour for the 3rd was "gris argentin" if I'm correct... seems one of those rather vague colour descriptions like "aurore" and "capucine".... what kind of grey would that be?
  8. Dani A. New Member

Hello,

Gris argentin translates as "Silver Grey". By what I have seen, I would describe it as a light-medium grey with a slight blue tinge. Is is lighter that Gris-de-fer, that is "Iron Grey".

Regarding these peculiar colour names, I believe they were common at those times, and would not sound odd then, as they sound to us now. Some of them probably were very much theoretical and hard to distinguish, specially after some fading - take, for instance, orange, aurore and capucine, all three tonal variations of orange, and all three employed as facing colour by several Chasseurs à Cheval regiments.

BTW, if you have on hand the movie "The Duellists", D'Hubert, the character Keith Carradine interprets, is an officer in the 3ème Hussards.

HTH,

Dani
  9. Robin Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Come on john slap some paint on we are dying to see what this looks like

Robin
  10. johnbrewer New Member

OK I admit I am a bit slow on this one. I WILL get some MEANINGFUL work done on it this weekend. This means getting some flesh painted and getting it right.
    Be patient Robin, I saw something at the local market today and bought it for you. It is something that you have told me you wanted for a long time now . It is very heavy and will be posted tomorrow .
  11. Robin Active Member

United-Kingdom
    hmmm

Thanks in advance, looking forward to it

Robin
  12. johnbrewer New Member

I have finally got a base flesh coat on the bust that I am happy with. I will start putting in the shadows and highlights today. The guy does look very strange without his moustache attached!.

Attached Files:

13. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    The flesh tones are looking good John. I know they will look even better as you get the bordering areas painted too.

guy
  14. Patrick Kirk New Member

I agree with Guy, John...what a great flesh base...I can't wait to see how he comes to life with the highlights and shading...
    Top job my brother! (y)
    All the best

Patrick
  15. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    agreed! great flesh tones! (y)
  16. Robin Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Dood
    ditto to what everyone else said come on hits those shadows and highlights

Robin
  17. johnbrewer New Member

Well here we go folks, I have laid in a bit more paint on the bust. i am trying to get the light source as being the right hand side of the face. Please post some comments on what you think.

Attached Files:

18. johnbrewer New Member

The darker side of the face

Attached Files:

19. Hardy Guest

Looking great John.
  20. John Long Active Member

United-States
    I like what you have done so far. I like the sideways glance. I think the eyes could benefit from some more definition. You could outline the upper lid with a dark brown color, and the lower lid with something like Mars Orange.