1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP "Andrea" Confederate Bearer 1862

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Patrick Kamsma, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Patrick Kamsma Active Member

Netherlands
    Hello,

My first post here.
    I normally built AFV models, but my interest is shifting to figurepainting.
    I have never painted figures before, then only the figures that comes with the AFV kits. And most of the time, I didn't put to much effort in the figure, becausde the tank or vehicle was the prime subject.

So a world has opened for me when I joined Planet Figure. After studying a couple of moths looking at your figures and trying to find out what the secrets of figure-painting is al about, I bought my very first figures.

My first figure is a 54mm white-metal figure of Andrea Minitures.
    I started this weekend with the head and tried to paint the face.
    So here are some pictures of the figure so far:

The boxart:

[IMG]

The start:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

All is done with Vallejo and Andrea acrylics.
    First time for me to work with white metal and I already had some pointers that I have to polish the figure before priming. Never knew that and it's too late now:(.
    So if you have tips, please. I'm here to learn.

Greetings
    Patrick
    red tom and flart1943 like this.
  2. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Patrick,

Welcometo the Dark Side.

My only tip is to stop piddling about with AFV's and focus on figures - you're a natural.

Most of us started out in AFV's before graduating to figures. Few of us ever return.

Keep up the good work.
  3. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    Welcome to the "Dark Side" Patrick! Like you. I too started out in armor. I could never figure out how to paint figures because again, like you, the armor was the primary project and the figure were more of an after-thought. I can remember painting about 5 figures in just hours. I always like the "Nappies" and eventually started there. Judging by your work, your'e light years ahead of me wen I started. Keep us posted on your progress.

Jim Patrick
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Hallo Patrick.
    As a few guys before me said, welcome to the darkside of modelling.
    Just like you starting figures with AFV a few years back. Since i joined AMSS i never touched a AFV again. It's all figures that count.
    Maybe you can contact Rob Linssen to help you out with the figures. I see you are joining the same club and Rob is also a member of AMSS.
    Your start is good. And keep posting, you always get some tips and advices.

Marc
  5. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Patrick,
    Glad to see you have seen the light at last. Welcome and it looks like you are of to a good start.
    Cheers,
    John
  6. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Good to see you delving into the world of figures Patrick and it looks like it was the right choice for you, nice start to the figure.

steve
  7. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    Welcome Patrick

Hey Patrick:

Welcome to the Planeteers Patrick. Glad you decided to come on board with
    your first post. Figure painting, as I see it (I've been painting figure about 5
    years and it has been slow trying to get better) is not easy. But in life, the
    things of great value will not come easy, right? Besure to have fun with it.

We do indeed learn by doing. So that means paint a lot of figures and you
    will see that you improve with each one. There are master painters and
    sculptors here, who are an inspiration, big time.

Again, Welcome (y) (y)

Rick Brownlee
    The Miami Jayhawk a.k.a Kansas Kid
  8. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Hello and welcome:)

I loved both, Busts and AFV´s(y)
  9. Patrick Kamsma Active Member

Netherlands
    Hey guys,

Figure is finally done. Just a little touch up here and there.
    The flag is after market and not an original piece. It's a copper plate which I had to paint. Shoot please.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Grtz
    Patrick