1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

" And quiet flows the Don "

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Martin Antonenko, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    [IMG]

Dear Planeteers!

It starts again!

I want to introduce you to my new project:

It is called "Тихий Дон" (pronounced Tichy Don / English Title "And quiet flows the Don") - and is also my favorite book, the wonderful novel about the Don Cossacks during the First World War and during the Russian Civil War ...:

[IMG]

The autor, Michail Scholochow...

[IMG]

... who himself was born in the Cossack Staniza (Staniza = village) Vyoshenskaya on the Don and later married the daughter Maria Petrovna of the Don Cossack Ataman Pyotr Gromoslavsk wrote the four-volume novel ...

[IMG]

... in the years 1928-1940.

Here Vyoshenskaya, where also plays a large part of the plot of the novel, in 1904 ...:

[IMG]

...and today...:

[IMG]

The stands up to day the house, Scholochow was born...:

[IMG]

In 1941, Scholochow received the Stalin Prize for "And quiet flows the Don" - and in 1956 the Nobel Prize for Literature!

[IMG]

[IMG]

In 1957, the novel was filmed in the Soviet Union under the direction of Pyotr Gerasimov ...:

[IMG]

The main characters are Pyotr Glebov as "Grigori Melechow" and Elina Bystrizkaja as "Aksinja Astachowa" ...:

[IMG]

I ordered a pair of busts from Pavol Ovecka (aka Offo), which will show them together on a farewell scene.

The template for the scene is this movie poster - this is how pose of the two look like ...:

[IMG]

Aksinja will wear the traditional Russian headscarf ...

[IMG]

... Grigori is depicted in a winter coat with Papakha ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

**to be continued next post**
    Oda, Dolf, winfield and 1 other person like this.
  2. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Today I got photos of the heads from Pavol ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

I just say, "Wonderful!" and can't hardly wait for them!

Cheers
    Andreas K., Inaki, MCPWilk and 9 others like this.
  3. grasshopper A Fixture

Canada
    Classic book I enjoyed reading way back..The associated information is great...good project..
  4. Mookie Well-Known Member

Very nice sculpted heads.Great work.
    Richard
  5. John Rosengrant A Fixture

super nice sculpts
  6. malc PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Great facials.
  7. Nap Moderator

England
    Following this one

Interesting to see how it is sculpted

Nap

PS Off to breakfast now at the hotel in Folkestone !!!
  8. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Excellent character figures full of great potential. Both books ( the sequel being ' The Don flows home to the Sea ' ) have been favourites for years.
  9. Kaws A Fixture

Russian-Federation
    Wonderful!
  10. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    You lucky ones...!

[IMG]

Cheers
    Nap likes this.
  11. Kevindunne Active Member

United-States
  12. Nap Moderator

England
  13. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    A few days ago, I showed you two film sequences from "And quiet flows the Don" - including the opening scene, in which Grigory and Aksinja get to know each other ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

A friend from Denmark was so kind sending me a photo of flat figures which exactly reproduce this scene!

Engraved by Vladimir Nushdin, heigth 54 mm ...:

[IMG]

I've made it up, because I was interested in where the drawing came from.

Here it is!

[IMG]

It is called "Григорий и Аксинья" ("Grigory and Aksinja") was created by the painter Sergei Korolkov (1905 - 1967)...

[IMG]

...and appeared as a book illustration in the first edition of the first volume of "Tichy Don" in 1935.

The drawing was used a second time in 1957 - namely in the so-called "Storybook" of the film!

A "storybook" is a kind of drawn script, in which the individual scenes to be filmed are sketched.

For this storybook also other drawings by Korolkow were used. During the research I came across a very rich source which shows most of these drawings - here some of them...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

What else can you do on a day like yesterday, with seven wind forces, continuous rain and 12 degrees better than researching for a project!

I have also made two chance finds:

Once a portrait (also by Korolev!) that he made after a conversation with the author of the novel, Mikhail Sholokhov in the 30s. So the writer introduced himself "his" Grigory ...:

[IMG]

After this picture, Sergei Glebov was selected as main character for the movie! He actually looked very much like the man on the drawing.

And the following picture is the second chance find - it touches me particularly:

On the Foto, the two main characters can be seen at the filming location in the Staniza Vjoshenskaja - and between them sits Mikhail Sholokhov!

[IMG]

Cheers

P.S. The parcel with the bust is on the way to myself, Offo mailed yesterday. Might be a nice birthday present I will make myself next week...
    Oda likes this.
  14. Nap Moderator

England
    Martin

Thanks for all the info on the scene ...will you be painting the flats as well ?

Looking forward to seeing the SBS unfold

Nap
    Oda likes this.
  15. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Unfortunately, I am completely unable (too dumb!) to paint a flat figure ...

:nailbiting:
    Oda likes this.
  16. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    1. Day, October 5, 2018

This morning, a riding messenger on a completely exhausted horse brought me this package from Slovakia ...:

The brave man has ridden on the way to the land of the fishheads still four more horses dead - only to bring me the package before my departure!

I opened it with trembling hands - and then I was very happy:

Aksinja and Grigory survived the long journey from Wjoschenskaja on the Don over Nitra (Slovakia) to here in Bremen, absolutely unscathed - and they are even more beautiful in realitas than in the photos ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

Since I want to give myself the two superbusts from Pavol next week for my birthday, I closed the package then quickly ...

Cheers

P.S. Tomorrow VERY early in the morning I'll start a week lasting jouney to Bavaria, so see my friend Markus. See you soon here again next week, mates!
    Andreas K., Inaki, Oda and 2 others like this.
  17. Nap Moderator

England
    WOW !!!!!!!

They look great can't wait to see what you do with them

Happy birthday for next week say hi to Markus

We say it all the time with your busts that you commision ..they should be commercial ...and this is a definate ....however that's life !!!!

Looking forward to this SBS

Nap
    Oda, offo and Martin Rohmann like this.
  18. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    I will!

Sorry for collectors egoism, but the concept of my Cossack collection is that it should consist only of unique pieces ...

Cheers
    offo and Nap like this.
  19. offo A Fixture

I am very glad to have come undamaged and that Martin is happy. It is sad to me that they are just original pieces. But I understand Martin and respect his philosophy.
    Happy Birthday Martin: D
    Oda and Martin Rohmann like this.
  20. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany