1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

" And quiet flows the Don "

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Martin Antonenko, Sep 21, 2018.

1. grasshopper A Fixture

Canada
    I wonder about here eyes..there might be more connection thru the eyes amongst both pieces. Her pupils are his aren’t the same size.
    Remember the film is 2D, the mini is 3D..and think about significant shadows between the two, again to integrate.
    Painting as separate subjects makes it hard to connect as one. Hope that’s a help..
  2. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    38. Day, December 10, 2018

Headscarf ready!

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

And if you look closely, you can see that something has changed around the corners of the mouth ...

Cheers
    Nap likes this.
  3. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    39. Day, December 11, 2018

My next step is the blouse of "Aksinja"!

As for possible templates, I'm on the safe side - because there is a model that she carries in several scenes of the film ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

The large and small floral patterns are just enough to recognize in the next photo that I can paint them ...:

[IMG]

Today, it's just a background with acrylic paints on it - I had a "full" old rose before me.

I've tried everything - in the end, it was a relatively simple color combination that I used ...:

[IMG]

Et voilà...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

Cheers
    Nap likes this.
  4. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    40. Day, December 12, 2018

Before it starts with the final oil painting, today is the last day, where I can pigpaint properly, and there is no danger of anything to mess up.

Time to turn to the woolen scarf that "Aksinja" wears around her shoulders ...:

[IMG]

This is a very special scarf with a very special pattern, on the design and different variants I will come in more detail.

For the moment it is enough to know that there were (and are!) lighter models for the warm season ...
    [IMG]

... and relatively heavy woolen models for the winter ...:
    [IMG]

Even today, where these woolen fabrics are woven with machines, the wool structure shows itself clearly!

This is another case for "Jo Sonja's" texture paste!

I put a little bit of the stuff in an old lid and then diluted it with acrylic paint and water into red ...:
    [IMG]
    So I have not only the desired texture but also a reasonably suitable underpainting in one step!

I take a medium-hard bristle brush, dip it into the blood-colored broth, remove the excess water from the bristles by briefly tapping the brush on an absorbent kitchen towel - and "mash" the paste with short quick cross strokes of the brush on a 2 x 2 inches piece.

Then - on the next piece - the procedure starts all over again.

Now, after I've finished, you can see even without fervently illuminated close-up, that a surface is created, which at least reminds of a woven wool structure - however, it is much finer than desired, as the structure of "Grigorijs" coarse soldier coat..:
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Cheers
    Kevtk135, Jeff T and Nap like this.
  5. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Some lovely painting there martin
    Nap and Martin Rohmann like this.
  6. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Martin

She is really coming along now , again using the texture from JS works well

The contrast between the uniform and her clothing is striking IMO

Thanks for sharing

Nap
  7. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    41. Day, December 13, 2018

So, the oil color is on the blouse...:

[IMG]

I think I ended up pretty close to the original color ...:

[IMG]

Since I am leaving tomorrow for the weekend, it can dry it all in peace - next week I'll continue with the pattern ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

CU - Cheers
    Nap likes this.
  8. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Martin

Good colour match for the blouse as you say pretty close , nice highlighting on it

Have a safe tourney and a good weekend

CU Monday

Nap
  9. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    42. Day, December 17, 2018

The pattern on "Aksinjas" blouse is defined - lights and shadows were taken, which is why different colors were used ...:

[IMG]

Now it looks like that...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

Tomorrow will be the finishing touch ...

Cheers
    Kevtk135 likes this.
  10. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    43. Day, December 18, 2018

I do not know about you, but sometimes it happens to me that there are places on a figure I just can not deal with!

As with "Aksinja's" blouse:

The drapery is well and flawlessly modeled - but still I get the pattern not properly painted! It just does not seem to be with the many small almost vertical wrinkles on the - in the photo! - tolerate right side!

[IMG]

[IMG]

From painful experience, I know that I could work endlessly at the site - but still will not be satisfied.

So I took a deep breath - and resorted to a fundamental solution.

"Milliput" was digged out and the drapery was redone at the point in question ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

There are fewer but larger wrinkles now - and they are now more diagonal and follow more of the "movement" of the head, upper body and scarf.

And tomorrow then: New game, new luck ...!

Cheers
    Nap and grasshopper like this.
  11. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Martin

Not once but twice you redid the pattern !!!!!...and then not happy you're worked the folds.....brave is not the right word!!!!

Tommorow you will repaint the main colour to march the left and then re pattern ....WOW!!!!

Looking forward to seeing the result of this

Thanks for sharing

Nap

PS Just wondering have you ever been doing a project and put it away unfinished as it wasn't happening for you ? ....I know I certainly have !!!!
  12. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Never!
    Nap likes this.
  13. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    44. Day, December 19, 2018

Carefully tapped off ...

[IMG]

...much more carefully primed...

[IMG]

... unpack and rejoice ...:

[IMG]

Damage and "slips" are there - rarely enough with me! - not to announce.
    Cheers
    Nap likes this.
  14. Nap Moderator

England
    WOW ...that is good masking there Martin

Good surface to begin on

Looking forward to more on this

Nap
    Martin Rohmann likes this.
  15. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    45. Day, December 20, 2018

This morning, I have critically eyed my work from yesterday.

And I was not satisfied with one thing at all!

Something is missing - namely the approach of the left breast, which should actually be there!

And this results in yet another step: The scarf of "Aksinja" around the shoulders then has to be adjusted.

The yellow marks on the next photo show what I mean ...:

[IMG]

So I''ve worked for it again - now I AM satisfied ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Cheers
    Nap likes this.
  16. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Martin

As vigilant as ever

Looking forward as ever

Nap
  17. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    46. Day, December 21, 2018

So, the converted blouse is - except for the pattern - ready painted ...:
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Probably I've spent far too much effort, as much later will be covered by the pattern ...

It continues here after Christmas. And not only because of that, I hope that Christmas will pass quickly this year ...
    CU - Cheers
    Kevtk135 likes this.
  18. Cannonball A Fixture

Fantastic work so far Martin. Love the fact you provide so much detailed info to support the build and great source of future reference for us mere mortals. Keep up the good work.
  19. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    47. Day, December 27, 2018

Painted the pattern of her blouse...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Cheers
    Kevtk135 and Nap like this.
  20. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Martin

Hope you had a good Christmas

The blouse looks a lot better now it has he pattern on it ,IMO the actual patten is close to the picture so well done

Thanks for sharing

Nap