1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

An unusual commission!

Discussion in 'Completed Figures' started by Bob Orr, May 9, 2016.

1. Bob Orr Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Paul Lawday and I attended a local model railway show as BMSS Bristol and done some painting demos back in February. A few weeks ago I was contacted by email by one of the attendees who had a 3D scan done at the show and a 1/16th figure of himself 3D printed and was looking for someone to paint it. He is making a 1/16th scale steam loco from brass from scratch and wanted the figure to display with it. After agreeing a price I decided to give it a go. It was a challenge as the 3D print was a bit rough (certainly not up to the standard seen elsewhere on this forum!). It required a lot of sanding to prepare and the spanner was mis shapen and was replaced with one made from brass shim and milliput. Facial details were very indistinct so I carved away the eyes and mouth area and resculpted them with duro. Made the toolbox from plasticard. Glasses from 5amp fuse wire soldered together and glazed with Micro Kristal Klear. Pics below of casting and reference photo I was given along with pics of finished figure. Cheers, Bob

2016-03-06 up to 016 (1) (375x500).jpg image001 (1) (280x500).jpg DSC_2469 (254x500).jpg
    View attachment 241273 001 (244x500).jpg
    001 (368x500).jpg 002 (319x500).jpg View attachment 241273 002 (319x500).jpg
    Ferris, Joe55, arj and 13 others like this.
  2. Gary D PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    awesome job!

Gary D
  3. pgarri27 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Neat. You did it justice.
  4. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Bob ,

That's come out well like the dirt stains on his trousers , toolbox a good addition

Nice one

Nap
    Oda likes this.
  5. Oda A Fixture

How very unusual and how very original.Superbly painted.

Oda.
  6. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Cool!!

All the best,
    Dan
  7. MalcC A Fixture

England
    Bob

I'll bet he'll be well chuffed with it.
    (y)

Malc