1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed An early Mig Productions - The Young Song Celt Bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Blue Thunder, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Blue Thunder A Fixture

Portugal
    Finished this guy tonight. Had several interruptions due to extreme work, but finally it's done! Hope you like it :hilarious:

Some WIP images:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

And now it's done :)

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Final image! The hair alone took more time than all the rest together! :hilarious: Hope you liked it! Cheers!

[IMG]
    arxo, jerry, napoleonpeart and 3 others like this.
  2. Ferris A Fixture

Nice job, particularly on the metals!

Adrian
  3. Blue Thunder A Fixture

Portugal
    Thanks Adrian! Appreciate your comments! :hilarious: Have an excellent week! :)
  4. fabrizio1969 A Fixture

Italy
    fine work,the metals are greath,can you if is possible tell me your method of paint the metals?
    thanks very much
  5. Blue Thunder A Fixture

Portugal
    Fabrizio, thanks for your compliments! :hilarious:

Regarding metals and particularly in these old brass, bronze, copper tones, please allow me to expose myself to "friendly flak fire", because replicating metals in busts I'm a little bit, let's say "different". For me, the large scales are unforgiving regarding metallic brightness.

Forgery in these ages, specially tribal forgery was rough. I always work surrounded with photographs of the real items around my workbench. First the helmet was textured with a dental burr. The protuberances were roughened around all edges. Finally, damage is created randomly with a scalpel.

After this treatment, chest armor and helmet are painted with Testors Black Chrome Trim and Testors Chocolate: Both are Semi-flat colors and very beautiful tones. Just ensure you create different mixes for all the parts your figure may have.

Then, I use purpurine powders - a bit like printers inks: I have several different tones ranging from almost white brass to very dark bronze. To these I add also graphite. Graphite allow you to create what I call "in scale" tonalities.

The mixes I create are normally as seen in the photographs surrounding me: in this case dark bronze and graphite mixed together and thinned in Winsor & Newton Japan Gold Size.

Use a short filbert flat brush, pick the mixture, paint it in a piece of paper allowing almost all paint to be transferred away ... but ... :) when the paint seems to be gone ... paint now the bust: It's a little bit like drybrush, but the brush is not dry. The amount of this coat that tackles the kit is so translucent that the original testors coat remains visible throughout all the process only small amounts of metallic powders are being transferred metalizing the parts without flying away randomly all around.

It builds slowly :happy: patience is a must - but results are quite visible and almost guide you through this metalization process.

After you achieve a fine metallic look, and only on the next day shade all internal edges with straight from the tube oil paints - namely purples and warm browns, such as Purple Madder Alizarin, Mars Brown or Vandyke Brown. : It will warm immensely the parts, giving them really a forgery feel - "in scale heat" from handcrafted forgery is replicating this way.

To end contour all edges and all protuberances such as bolts with a bright warm yellow, such as naples yellow light. Let moisture evaporate and blend edges: the metallic pigment will show through it and the roughness of edges will be emphasized.

And it's done! :hilarious: I know transmitting messages through screens are a bit difficult, if I was not clear, please excuse myself. You just ask :)