1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique AMP Russian sniper 120mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Gellso, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Just finished this excellent kit.
    All parts go together extremely well and although it looks fairly easy to paint it's a bit harder trying to get the different tones to break it up a wee bit.
    The figure can be bought at www.120mini.com
    The scope has now been put back a bit because in the pic it's too far forward.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. Christosjager A Fixture

Greece
    Well done Grant,the face particularly are excellent painted.
  3. Ferris A Fixture

Looks like a really good job Grant! Like it a lot.
    Quite a coincidence; I stumbled upon this figure on APM's site just today...how about that?!
    Will you still paint the groundwork?

Cheers,
    Adrian
  4. housecarl A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very nice Grant, the face is especially well done.
    Carl.
  5. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi all thanks for replies.
    No Adrian the groundwork is actually a little blunt, so I will make my own.
    regards,
    Grant
  6. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Very nice Grant. The face is particularly good.
  7. Michael Tse Active Member

HongKong
    I think the face is superb. I might look bad being the first guy to give suggestions here, but I cant resist.

I think this is a great sculpt, but somehow limited by the way the Soviet unifrom is depicted. Usually it is then up to the painter to apply some bold variation in different surfaces to make it look real, or at least interesting. While there is absolutely nothing wrong with the way the clothes are painted here (it is standard), it neither elevates the sculpt from that limitedness.

I think I am referring to Lee's box art approach for Young's releases. Dramatic, and rich, even unlikely tone variation above all else.

Finally, congrats on being the first among us to render this great kit!
  8. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for that. I know what you mean. Unfortunately I'm not in the same league as Lee. If I was I would jack in my job and go pro.
  9. BarrieHynd Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Nicely done Grant, like it a lot. Take it you decided not to go withe the other head or scratching a cape?
    Barrie
  10. sarouman A Fixture

Greece
    Hi Grant,
    very nice work my friends,
    Bravo!!

Alexandros
  11. Michael Tse Active Member

HongKong
    Hi Grant,

There is some truth in what you said. I am a rookie myself and it doesnt help I am under crazy, suicide-inducing obligations concerning my own living. But whatever is left of me from my daily affairs still cries out for good art. As unskilled as i am, I fantasise the day when I can paint like Lee.

I will quote a Pixar film:

Great art can come from anyone.
  12. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Ta

Hi Barrie, I didn't have time to do the other head but the sculptor is now adding a cape so I'll paint the furcap head when I get the cape.
    Cheers
  13. rheath Active Member

South-Africa
    Nice work here, the skin tones are good as is the rifle - overall excellent.:mad:
  14. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Grant, a great sculpted figure and I must say you've done it justice. Great painting and I agree with the majority, amazing work on the face. (y)

Cheers Ken