1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique AMP Miniatures Brit Para Jump order 1944

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by gothicgeek, Jul 17, 2010.

1. stu A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    steve, i would get yourself a copy as it is excellent, histoire collections has a tendency to sometimes stop printing certain books after a while and you dont want to miss this one.

Great as ever mark

Stu
  2. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Nice start Mark!
  3. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Steve ... Cheers mate :)

Tony .... :) nah not a machine, just bloody minded :) and there is always beer, walking, playing with the cat, video games, books and a whole host of minutia to distract me :)

Chris ;)

Carl .... Thanks and That is a good read mate! Enjoy :)

Marcel .... Thank you! :)

Stu ... Cheers :)

Pedro .... Thanks to you too :)

For colours used see other Para thread :)

[IMG]
  4. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Kit Bag ......

My reference shows a couple of versions of the kit bag and I decided on a plain one with some parts in a slightly different shade of fabric.

Masked off the painted legs and boots with tape and blu tac and sprayed a layer of AV Ger. Cam. Blk. Brown as the shader.

AV Stone grey was the base colour and adding some AV Light flesh to the base made the highlight.

I picked the leg straps and other panels out with a very thin glaze of AV Ger. Cam. Med. Brown and then used the thinned Highlight from the original colour to set some highlights.

The eyelets and any metal are based in AV Ger. Cam. Blk. Brown in preparation of some NMM work, the Lacing is Based with AV Ger. Cam. Med. Brown and detailed with AV Light flesh.

Still lots to do but I think it looks okay so far :)

[IMG]
  5. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Mark, excellent work on the kitbag (y)

Cheers Ken
  6. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    If the rest is as nice as the kitbag, it will be a stunner.
    Carl.
  7. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Agreed. Excellent result and proof that an airbrush (in the right hands) can be just as effective as a brush.
  8. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Ken ... Thanks :)

Carl ... Cheers ;)

Tony ... Thank you! It was a big first step using an AB on a figure, but the results speak for themselves! :)

Denison sleeves....

About finished the arms, the chevrons are a cheat as the actual pattern of stitching is like herring bone :) I'll be posting a mini SBS on the Stormtrooper Para thread about how I did the denison .....

:)

[IMG]
  9. kiwi45 Active Member

New_Zealand
    Nice work Mark, following this with interest, as I have a Jeff Shiu Fallschirmjager to do and this might make a nice companion.
  10. Ferris A Fixture

That airbrush is really working out for you Mark! This looks very nice, with rich colours and smooth transitions! On its way to become a stunning piece!

Cheers,
    Adrian
  11. Gummisheep Member

Hungary
    I love tha Sack,and the camo.....great job my Friend!:)
  12. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Les ... Thanks :) the Jeff Shiu figures are nice and yes would make a nice comparison piece to this :)

Adrian .. Thank you! :)

Roland ... Many thanks! :)

Working on!

The over smock is based with AV USA Olive Drab then AV Field Grey as a mid and then a bit of AV Light Flesh added to the field grey for a highlight .... Lots of details to pick out and the life jacket needs to have a glaze of grey to kill the colour and some hard highlights

[IMG]
  13. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    Hi! Mark.
    Excellent progress!
    KIT BAG is very cool.
    The fresh tone is also very beautiful as usual.
    I like the feel of a material of the apparel fabric you express very much.

Mitsutaka
  14. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Mitsutaka! .... Many thanks :)

Life vest!

The life vest is made of a rubberised fabric ( SBR? ) and in the superb book that Chris Oldfield loaned to me there are traces of the adhesive visible around the glued areas..

So the first thing is to ramp up the contrast! Highlights are GW Codex Grey and a top highlight of the Codex Grey With AV Light Flesh, but quite sharp to show the more reflective nature of the fabric, Then added some glue stains With very thin GW Chaos Black. And finally some broad shading with the Gw Chaos Black with a drop of AV Ger. Cam. Dark Green ......

i think it looks okay and with the contrast of the chute straps it will look better ( I hope! )

Also I got the Paratrooper Wings done at last :)

[IMG]

[IMG]
  15. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Working on the chute straps now.... All by hand :)

Lighting is a bit harsh as I'm trying a new set up for taking pictures

[IMG]
  16. Ferris A Fixture

Much better doing this by hand Mark, think of the amount of masking tape otherwise needed!

Straps start to look nice, albeit a bit cleanish still. On the other hand, this is before the battle of course... :)

If you need some inspiration on this subject, Jaume Ortiz's Fallschirmjaeger in Osprey's 'Painting FJ figures with acrylics' shows a really cool example of how even strapping can be painted in an interesting manner.

Cool figure so far; I like your way of increasing constrast on shiny thingies. By the way, do you plan to add some satin varnish to these parts?

Cheers,
    Adrian
  17. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Adrian .... yes the figure will be mostly clean as this is just before the battle ;) fully inspired on the straps now .... ! and the life vest will not get any varnish as it is not shiny as such but the material is sealed, like the stuff inflatable dingys were made of... I think ;)

Chute straps 2 ...

Inspired by Jaume Ortiz's work on the straps of his German para, I first add some texture with fine line work to represent the weave of the fabric, then using the same palette that I used to give the straps some colour I added seams!

This is time consuming but I gotta admit it really adds to the finish :)

oh well, nose to the grind wheel ;)

[IMG]
  18. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Snail like progress on the strap work .... :(

;)

( notice all the blu-tac finger rests :) )

[IMG]
  19. Ferris A Fixture

This is definitely worth the effort Mark...!
    The straps looks excellent. Good idea about adding the texture. It works very well!

Cheers,
    Adrian
  20. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Adrian ... sorry for the whole month to do a reply :( back at this now :)

This is one of the two figures I would like to have done for Euro, I might get this one finished .... might :)

Almost happy with the straps and next I'll need to add the tiny red dashes on them all ..... !

[IMG]