1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Always Faithful

Discussion in 'Brutal Honesty - Critique Center' started by Joe55, Dec 14, 2012.

1. debrito A Fixture

Canada
    The green jacket is very nice... well done...(y)
    Joe55 likes this.
  2. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Thank you Sir!

Joe
  3. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    I worked on the eyes as suggested, and finally got some pics taken last Sunday. (It helps to have friends that know what they are doing :D !) Let me know what you all think. Thanks.

Joe Always Faithful, 1.JPG Always Faithful, 2.JPG
    billyturnip and Meehan34 like this.
  4. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    The eyes look now great! Very nice job - congratulations!
    Joe55 likes this.
  5. Karlosfandango Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Very nice paint work.
    Being into weathering armour it may do with a little pigment here and there but hey if it were me I'd probably over do it and distract from the fine detail which is already there.
    I like it a lot and might even consider this bust for myself because of this.
    I've saved this to my photos on my iPhone, I can't stop looking at it.
    Karl.
    Joe55 likes this.
  6. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    realy great work
    Joe55 likes this.
  7. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Martin64, Karlosfandango, and Mirofsoft, thanks so much for checking him out for me and leaving your comments :)!
    Wow Karlos, hope my buddy likes him as much as you do! Believe me, I seriously considered soiling him up, but changed my mind as I did'nt want to jack it up either. Definitely get yourself one, its a great sculpt. I'm seriously thinking of getting another for my collection since this one is a gift, then maybe I'll make him look more like a 'raggedy ass Marine' ;)! .

Joe
  8. Canbeans New Member

United-States
    Little work on the eyes. But man it is crisp, great job on the herribone (spelling) uniform. I like this subject area and I struggle with the uniform.
    Joe55 likes this.
  9. Ferris A Fixture

Stunning work on the herringbone Joe. Really neat, straight and convincing!

The second set of pictures shows some harsh contrast in the face. If you want to you can blend these with some (repeated) filters of very much thinned intermediate skin tone. Only danger is the thin coats can get slightly shiny, so may be a touch of Tamiya flat in the mix will help.

As to weathering, you could just add a few spots of thinned brown (Vallejo burnt umber is nice, especially when mixed with a bit of Iraqi Sand and a touch of black) on a fwe places, just a few. This gives the impression of dirt, without having to muck up the whole thing.

Overall, absolutely stunning work. He really looks the part.

Cheers,
    Adrian
    Joe55 likes this.
  10. IronMike A Fixture

Nice work. I was just in El Paso working at Ft Bliss.
    Joe55 likes this.
  11. sd0324 PlanetFigure Supporter

Nice job! I like this one.
    Joe55 likes this.
  12. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    It's a brilliant piece of painting Joe,I love the beard as well,your friend should be well pleased with it :)
    Joe55 likes this.
  13. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Howdy Canbeans! Thanks for checking out this Leatherneck and commenting. I thought I was in for a rough time in simulating the herringbone twill, but it turned out easier than I imagined. Do small sections at a time and its a snap. Try it!
    Joe
  14. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Adrian! I appreciate the tips and suggestions. I'll have them in mind for the next project! How are things in your neck of the woods?

Joe
  15. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks IronMike! Next time you are in the desert southwest drop me a line!

Joe
  16. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks AK! Or shall I call your Mr. Kalashnikov? :D

Joe
  17. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Thank you smudger1960! He was really surprised and very happy with this bust. So much so that he posted pics of it in his facebook page and got a lot of comments.

Joe
  18. Mjølner PlanetFigure Supporter

Denmark
    Hi Joe,
    very nice job, he is a good looking guy. But I do also have a something about the eyes.
    I think the colour of the iris is a bit off to the bight side, but again it is a good piece ;)
    Joe55 likes this.
  19. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    Yes Faithfull ..
    Joe55 likes this.
  20. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Joe, this is superb.

I agree with the comments about him maybe being a bit too clean, but that takes nothing away from an otherwise beautiful paint job and I also understand the reasons you gave for doing it like that.

Bottom line is that you're painting it the way you see fit to pass on as a gift, and who are any of us to argue? Great job!

- Steve