1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

ALTORES Medieval Footman 1:10 scale

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Sven, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Sven A Fixture

Dear Planeteers,
    this is the current project on my workbench: the well-known Medieval Footman from ALTORES in 1:10 scale. There are many great versions of this bust out there. This is what I have so far. Face and helmet are not completely done yet but a start has been made!
    Hope you like it and please feel free to comment and to make suggestions.
    Happy benchtime from Germany
    Sven
    IMG_E1695.JPG IMG_E1689.JPG IMG_E1690.JPG IMG_E1694.JPG IMG_E1696.JPG IMG_E1697.JPG
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Sven

Nice to see you working on this and it's lookng good

Interesting the way you've done the helmet do share how ?

Look forward to more updates

Happy benchtime

Nap
  3. TERRYSOMME1916 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great start, I can see right away that this will be a great job when finished.
    TERRY
  4. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    looking mighty fine.
  5. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looking good. Great face and fantastic sheen on the helmet.(y)
    Sven likes this.
  6. Djoubri M Well-Known Member

France
    Nice start !
    kevininpdx likes this.
  7. Gary_81 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Looks great what you have done so far, I can't wait to see how this turns out.

Gary
    Sven likes this.
  8. Sven A Fixture

Thank you much, guys.

The helmet was not complicated at all - and much faster to paint than the face. I started with a brownish base tone and then applied several layers of different metal colors from the SCALECOLOR steel series (lighter at the top and darker at the base). After that, a black and a light brown wash followed by some pure black details in the darkest shadows. Then the fun part: stippling with a tiny sponge in different rust tones. I finished with some metal details both with a sponge and the brush. I used acrylic and enamel paints.

Sven
  9. Ferris A Fixture

Nice work. The helmet is great!

I would suggest to tune the eyes a bit, to make them look at something on ground level. He is now looking up and combined with the shouting mouth this suggests he stepped on something painful.
    I think you can change the look by painting over the round bottom of the iris with iris colour. Perhaps not the clearest description ever...hope you know what I mean.

Adrian
    DaddyO likes this.
  10. Ferris A Fixture

On the other hand, he could be pointing out incoming arrows....
  11. Sven A Fixture

Hi Ferris,
    many thanks for your comments. I will continue to play a little with his face and the direction of his eyes, as you suggested. His left arm is slightly raised, pointing at something above him. Due to the cast and the size of the figure, however, the eyes are hardly visible without maginifcation glasses. I have a free weekend ahead of me and come back next week... :)
  12. Sven A Fixture

Some progress...
    I painted the hood and layed out the pattern of his tunic. Looking forward to add some colors soon.
    IMG_E1707.JPG IMG_E1709.JPG IMG_E1710.JPG IMG_E1711.JPG
  13. Gary_81 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Great work on the hood it looks perfectly worn in, and the start of the pattern is looking very good.

Gary
  14. Sven A Fixture

Even more progress...
    I have completed (more or less) the tunic and his chainmail. I should be about half way through by now and I have to say this is a fantastic bust. Such a clever composition of suberb quality. No wonder this bust is so popular.

Sven
    2.JPG 3.JPG 5.JPG IMG_E1723.JPG
  15. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Sven

I like that hood and the pattern design you've chosen

He is lookng great and as you said a great piece

Thanks for sharing

Happy benchtime

Nap
  16. Cannonball A Fixture

Great job so far Sven. Does the heraldry relate to anything specific? This is a great bust from Altores, lovely character in the face and great detail/texture in the moulding. Looking forward to seeing more.

Neal
    Sven likes this.
  17. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice job.

Ref Neal's query:
    Sven: I don't know whether you just came up with the scheme or found a reference?

It's not easy to see whether it's red chevrons (technically chevronells) on white (argent, three chevronells gules) or white on red (gules, three chevronells argent) but either way, I had a quick looksee at the minefield that is online genealogy and heraldry and came up with some interesting possibilities (and many highly dubious ones).

However, one must forget the idea that a particular blazon was unique to one family... or that all of a family wore the same arms (especially as the various branches multiplied). To illustrate this, here are some examples:

Amongst the best is the French de Plessis family (from a branch of ... as per today's South African rugby players)... this is Cardinal Richelieu's:
    Ch5.JPG

The C14th Surrey/Willement Rolls offer various versions, including de Langeton (differenced with a blue label: both original and cleaned up versions are shown) , Baude (white on red), and Sakevill (differenced by a field of ermine).
    Ch2.JPG Ch2b.JPG Ch3.JPG Ch4.JPG

(cleaned up version here:https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/..._(aka_Willement's_Roll)_-_Shields_218-265.jpg)

Other sources include de Watevile (note the differences), Barringtone and de Vere (from the C14th Parliamentary Roll) https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Space:The_Parliamentary_Roll:
    Ch1.JPG ch11.JPG

And from Ireland, France and Germany and Belgium (Flemish): Bladen, de Bassompierre and the town of Menin (Menyn):
    Ch6-Irish.JPG Ch8-Fr.JPG Ch11.JPG

Here are some more (some with a gold/or .. ie yellow field) from a French book of arms (I think the Egmond one with multiple chevrons is 'chevronelly of five argent (or?) and gules'):
    http://www2.culture.gouv.fr/Wave/image/archim/0008/dafanch06_a103502n00001_2.htm
    ch10.JPG ch10b.JPG ch10c.JPG ch10d.JPG

However, my favourite (for the irony of the name) is the Anglo/Scottish Meek family:
    ch9.JPG ch9b.JPG

So... you pays yer money and takes yer choice :)
    Sven, KenBoyle and housecarl like this.
  18. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Looks excellent Sven.(y)
  19. Gary_81 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Absolutely beautiful work.

Gary
  20. TERRYSOMME1916 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great work with the muted colours on the cloth adding colour but allowing the metals to come up nicely, it's well on it's way to being a gem.
    TERRY
    Sven likes this.