1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Alpine's 1/16 GD Panzerofficer

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Instructorrob, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Instructorrob Active Member

Netherlands
    Hi all,

I recently started working on this great Alpine figure, to break away from my usual AFV modelling. The figure was done by Mike Good. It has great details and the moulding is flawless. Clean up and assembly took just a few minutes, also thanks to a superb fit of the parts.

The figure comes in 10 pieces; two different heads, boots, arms and the upper body and legs. Final two parts are the binoculars and the pistol holster.

Everything comes nicely packed in a sturdy box with the painting done by Calvin Tan.
    [IMG]

I have decided to do both heads, one in oils, and the other one in acrylics (first time I do that), just for fun and practice.
    The uniform will be finished in oils as this is the method I'm most comfortable with.

Here's my primed two-headed hero. The left arm has been left unglued for ease of painting, obviously.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Here he is again, with the upper body airbrushed with Vallejo Field Grey.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Next step was to give the jacket a glaze/filter/whatever you call it, with highly diluted Rembrandt Olive Green, to give it a sense of cloth texture.
    On this picture it has been done half to show the difference before and after
    [IMG]

Then all seams and details were underlined with diluted Sepia (Rembrandt). Just check those fine details.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Two images of the heads with base color done with Vallejo. The first one Sand Brown, as this will be the one I'll be doing in acrylics. The second Basic Skin Tone as the rest will be done in oils.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

By the way, the right eye of the latter has been corrected already, but no picture yet.

Oh yeah, the holster and binoculars. Primed and with a wash of diluted black oil paint over a Humbrol Brown Bess (170) base. The binoculars were pimped with a Magic Sculpt strap.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

I'll leave you with this very glossy figure. To be continued...

Robert
  2. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    More ! more ! more !
  3. rafaelega Active Member

Spain
    Excellent. I'll follow your SBS!

Rafa
  4. Instructorrob Active Member

Netherlands
    Vergilius & Rafael, thanks for your comments. I'll be continuing hopefully next week, as I am struggling hard to finish a diorama for the weekend as I want to enter it in a competition this Saturday.

I know, for most of you figure buffs this thread might not be really hot stuff, but I hope to learn something myself from this SBS. So constructive comments are most welcome.
    My main reason for posting here is that I want to improve the overall level of my dioramas by improving my skills to all things figure related.
    Having said that, I must admit that the great figures that are presented on this forum sure make me doubt if I shouldn't switch to figures altogether ;)

grtz
    Robert
  5. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Your sbs is totally interesting Robert.keep us posted!
    christos
  6. Instructorrob Active Member

Netherlands
    Well, it took a while to update this project. Too much to do, too little time. I have only progressed with the face that I'm doing in oils.

First three images show the highlights in white (W&N) and the first shadows done with Burnt Siena (W&N)
    The next three show the second shadow for which I have used Brown Madder Alazarin (W&N).
    The final three of the face show the 5' clock shadow inPayne's Grey (Rembrandt) and a little Indian red (also Rembrandt) used for the cheeks and on the tip of the nose.

I have also highlighted the jacket with Warm Grey (Mussini Schmincke)

Your comments will be highly appreciated.

Robert

Attached Files:

7. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Looking great so far Robert. Keep us posted as you progress.
  8. Roc Active Member

United-States
    WWWII is not my cup of tea, but I like what you have done so far, keep up the good work.

Cheers
    Roc
  9. Instructorrob Active Member

Netherlands
    Hi everyone,

little progress so far, as life's too busy at the moment. Anyway, I have managed to finish the face for 98% as far as I'm concerned.
    Same for the groundwork. Uniform still a long way to go. Insignia etc. are somewhere between half done and finished, so don't kill me over those yet, please :)

So here we go. This is before the peroxide workover:

[IMG]

And this is after. Also I have added more shadows and highlight using highly diluted oils. Diluted with turpentine and linseed oil.

The hair is done with acrylics, by the way.

[IMG]
    [IMG]

Then, the hardware, nearly finished. Oils for the holster, acrylics for the binoculars. Silver is W&N ink.
    [IMG]

And finally the groundwork. As this dude's dressed for chilly weather, but I didn't want to cover the groundwork in snow again, I figured it would be a cold, windy day in autumn. Fallen leaves are yet to come (kind a woke up with that idea, this morning). Few bits and pieces to add, but nearly finished IMHO.

[IMG]
    [IMG]

Well... comments are welcome.

Robert
  10. T50 A Fixture

United-States
    Looks great so far!
    Looking forward to seeing it all finished!

TS
  11. eissteban Active Member

France
    hi robert
    good work during this month ;)
    the paint on the barrier is well considering
    waiting for the next step
  12. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Robert,
    Welkom op Planet figure. Ik quote dit stukje omdat ik ook zo ben begonnen met figuur schilderen en er nooit meer vanaf ben gekomen. Dus je bent aan de dark side van de modelbouw. Ook mijn "roots"liggen bij AFV en Twenot. Sinds 2003 heb ik geen tank meer aangeraakt sinds ik met figuurschilderen ben begonnen.
    Nu verder over je figuur.
    Ik vind je aanpak met washing nogal gedurfd. Je ziet nml dat de verf niet over het gehele figuur zit, maar nogal streperig is.
    Als je nat in nat schaduwd en lichten zet, zal het met deze techniek niet lukken, althans voorzover mij bekend.
    De techniek die je toepast is echt zeer goed toepasbaar voor acryl.
    Maar ik ben toch echt benieuwd naar je eindresultaat.
    (nu ik zie dat je Eindhoven komt, hebben we elkaar niet gesproken op de AMSS show?????).

Marc
  13. Instructorrob Active Member

Netherlands
    Hi all,

thanks for your comments. They're much appreciated.

Robert
  14. ryall Active Member

New_Zealand
    Hi Robert

I really like what you have done so far. Could you tell me what materials you used for the ground. The leaves are great what did you use for them also.

Thanks
    Ryally.
  15. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    Looks very good !
  16. Instructorrob Active Member

Netherlands
    Smokin' Ace , finally finished

replaced
  17. Instructorrob Active Member

Netherlands
    And finished

Hi there,

I'm spending too much time organizing our Scale Model Challenge in November of this year, but found some time to finish my second 1/16 figure.
    Hope you like it.

[IMG][IMG][IMG]

and some closer shots
    [IMG][IMG]
    [IMG][IMG]

Robert
  18. eissteban Active Member

France
    hi robert
    simply marvelous, i really would like finish a figure like that
    extremely well done, bravo

Seb.
  19. Instructorrob Active Member

Netherlands
    Hello Sébastien,

thanks for your nice comments.

Robert
  20. Ashen-Shurgar Member

Australia
    Superb Robert!,

Do you have any step by steps of the pants?

Mark