1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Alpine Waffen SS set #35168

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by billyturnip, Jun 11, 2017.

1. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    The immortal words "Oh no not another WWII German" have been ringing in my ears for about 25 years of figure painting so it's about time I painted one.... or even two. :D

I've often looked at Alpines figures and thought how good they appear to be and the reviews and painted versions I've seen seem to back this up, so here goes.

Well there's nothing like jumping in at the deep end, just how difficult can it be to paint Waffen SS camo on a 1/35 figure? :confused: I'm about to find out.

Armed with some new Raphael brushes,
    this...

AND-ACS-015a.jpg

and this...

51hO57VtgTL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Off I go.
    Mjølner, Borek, anstontyke and 7 others like this.
  2. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Face painted and the trousers have a base coat of Field Grey.

The smock, which according to my research is the Type 1, M42 pattern and helmet cover have been basecoated and shaded. The intention being to paint them in the Plane Tree camo.

IMG_5070.JPG

If I've got my research wrong please let me know. (y)
    stoffy01, Mjølner, Borek and 6 others like this.
  3. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    I have no idea, would it be British Victorian red.
    Joking aside. Nice painting. (I fancy doing the German paras). Will follow this one Roger.
    anstontyke likes this.
  4. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Cheers Bob, I've no idea either, I'm hoping an expert will give me some guidance. I'll paint the helmet cover and post a pic to see what the consensus of opinion is.
    anstontyke and Viking Bob like this.
  5. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Roger found this] 2116425-1.jpg
    Borek, anstontyke and billyturnip like this.
  6. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Try this website mate.
    2kompanie.org/waffen-ss-camouflage.html
  7. billyturnip A Fixture

England

Thanks very much Bob, very useful. I've looked at so many camo patterns I've got green spots in front of my eyes. :wacky:
    anstontyke and Viking Bob like this.
  8. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Not quite up to the standard of the boxart but not too bad for a first attempt I think. :D
    I might just go for the heavily weathered and faded look.... I might just pull it off. :sneaky:

IMG_5073.JPG IMG_5075.JPG IMG_5076.JPG
    stoffy01, Wings5797, swralph and 6 others like this.
  9. Mariobusta A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Looking good but the photo is not very clear , maybe a bit more light ? I also always liked the look of Alpine figures so I bit the bullit and painted one and now I can't get enough of them !Look forward to some more progress as I also have just finished my first attempt at SS camo and it's not quite as scary as It looks !
    anstontyke and billyturnip like this.
  10. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    another reference for another German:)
    PlaneTreeSmock1.gif PlaneTreeSpr.gif

Cheers, Martin
    stoffy01, mark126804, Borek and 5 others like this.
  11. Oda A Fixture

Roger mate what a surprise!!!!I would never have guessed that the Gremans had any kind of appeal to you.Kostas is going to be a happy guy when I'll tell him about it.Joking aside,Alpine is a fantastic company with some great miniatures and you are already doing justice to yours.Am I to presume that this is the prelude to you creating a diorama combining figures and armoured vehicles?

Oda.
  12. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Thanks Neil. I'll try and get some better photo's for the next update. It's probably a good idea to post clear pics if you want critique. :D
    Glad I bit the bullet too, the quality was just was I was led to believe, outstanding.
    anstontyke likes this.
  13. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Martin64 and anstontyke like this.
  14. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Loving these little figures so far Oda.
    I wasn't planning on using these two but I have a 1/35 SDKfz 251 in the stash that might benefit from the inclusion of a couple of "Oh no, not more Germans". :D
    If Kostas will be interested I'll send him in progress pics on messenger.
    Oda and anstontyke like this.
  15. Ferris A Fixture

16. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    anstontyke likes this.
  17. swralph A Fixture

Looks good to me Herr Roger:p:).
    This sprang to mind.

18. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    :ROFLMAO: Thanks Ralph.
    I've actually heard the skipper of a ship talking like that to a Norwegian Pilot that came onboard to take us into Bergen, oh the embarrassment. :rolleyes:
    Borek, swralph and anstontyke like this.
  19. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Hmm, not sure. :confused:

IMG_5077.JPG IMG_5078.JPG IMG_5079.JPG

If Man-Jin Kim hadn't done such a incredible job of the boxart I might not be feeling so inadequate. :D
    Babelfish, Wings5797, Borek and 4 others like this.
  20. swralph A Fixture

It looks ok to me Roger:).
    It's only when you look at it real close that you see that it is not brilliant(Not meant to sound the way it did).
    But I think it is one of those paintjobs that when you stand back and look at it, it gives the desired effect.
    And anyway camo is never easy to do.:D