1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique Alpine/hornet German Grossdeutschland Kharkov And Steyr 1500 4x4

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Carlos69, Sep 1, 2012.

1. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Superb combination of armour and figure painting, dont get much better than this mate, I like the fact there no groundwork as it places all the focus on the vehicle, too much groundwork would detract from the real appeal of the model and figure. It may have took you a while mate but it was worth the end result.

All the best
    Steve
  2. ausf Active Member

United-States
    Beautiful work all around, figure and vehicle. The subtle weathering and details are perfect.
  3. Vaux Well-Known Member

Spain
    It's a job that has left me amazed, like many, that great paint job on the figure and in the vehicle. I really like your style of painting.

Seeing this figure I remembered that we have exchanged some messages AK forum on a decal of the grenades had a bust I painted a while,

Regards

Juanma
  4. Carlos69 Well-Known Member

England
    Steve Cheers buddy ! Are u going Euro still if not trading there mate ?

Ausf thanks for your comments ; )

Joanna how's it going ? I remember ... Young bust ! Superb job you made of it,it's a bit quiet over at AK isn't it bud ?! Thanks for your comments and looking in : )

Carlos
  5. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello Carlos, Fastastic painting on the vehicle, equipment, and figure. I like the black base, it makes the white-washed Steyr, and the parka on the Grenadier, really stand out. Also, your nameplate looks great. An excellent presentation Carlos. Regards, SG(y)
  6. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Stunning piece.
    Got to keep them IPMS judges happy Carl.(y)
    Carl.(y)
  7. T50 A Fixture

United-States
    Carlos, congrats!
    All the nice comments were already said by other guys, so I won't repeat them. :)

I do think that you need to resolve the focus issue in photography.
    For an instance, the chest is in focus while face isn't in close-up shots.
  8. Carlos69 Well-Known Member

England
    Sg,Carl and Taesung thanks fella's for your comments and feadback : )

Taesung I really need to sort my photography out Full stop ! ; ) I'm clueless about the dark arts ... And whenever I save my pennies for a decent camera and set up a whole new load of great figures come out I gotta' buy ! I just put it in auto and shoot for now. Sorry for the images,I will keep trying ; )

Muchas Gracias

Carlos
  9. Alex Long A Fixture

England
    Brilliant work all round Carlos. You have a great range of skills. It's a superb job you've done with the Steyr and the figure more than matches it's quality. I know the Hornet heads tend to come out a touch bigger than the Alpine ones, but this fits very well. I know where you're coming from regarding photography, I have a "proper" camera and I still find the whole process a real pain :arghh: Look forward to seeing this at Euro.
    Alex.
  10. custer760 Well-Known Member

Beautiful work once again Carl...This doesnt need groundwork, it looks like someone had picked up an actual real vehicle (including driver) and shrunk him and put him on a plynth !!!This is fabulous and so lifelike.Another good reason to stop by and see your art in Folkestone.
    Really amazing...Bravo to you once more.
    Regards
    Pete
  11. Carlos69 Well-Known Member

England
    Alex Thanks for your kind feadback (y) Know what you mean rgds the Hornet heads they do run a little bigger on Alpine but theres alot also that look ok its just a case of finding one and trying it out.

Pete thanks again buddy for your comments really appreciated :)

Im on the Tommys War stand at Euro so come say hello gents :happy:

Carl(os)
  12. Jazz A Fixture

England
    I really like this Carl. It is stunning to look at . The hairspray method is used well on the vehicle and I like how you have balanced the colours by having a folded swastika flag at the rear, and the red armbands. I like how you have mounted it on a simple base. Sometimes less is more. Excellent work.
  13. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Lovely work Carl!

The figure is outstanding!

:)
  14. Carlos69 Well-Known Member

England
    Jazz many thanks :) I added the red ID flag to the rear after seeing the red in the armbands like you say to balance it out and Im pleased you can see that in the final piece.

Mark cheers buddy for the feadback (y)

Carl
  15. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
  16. dancap3286 A Fixture

United-States
    Ok Carl, here goes my opinion. The figure and vehicle look great no debate about that. I feel if you just modelled the vehicle by itself with no figure, it would be ok on just a black base with no groundwork. I feel however since you added a figure that breathes life into the scene, it becomes just that "a scene". So in my humble opinion I would have prefered a little groundwork but overall it does not take away from the great job overall.
  17. Carlos69 Well-Known Member

England
    Mike thanks ! (y)

Dan thanks for your feadback buddy :) Its a tough one ... I have ummed and arrrhhh about the groundwork versus non groundwork,but Im stuck now (still cant make my mind up though ! ) as the Steyr is pinned down with brass rod so no chance of removing without damage and I cant get groundwork and paint underneath it :meh:

Thanks alot gents for commenting ...

Carlos
  18. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Hi Carlos, groundwork or not, you have done a masterful job of painting this and I love it!
    Cheers
  19. Carlos69 Well-Known Member

England
    Nick thanks a lot for the feadback ! : )
  20. Julius Suryatama New Member

Indonesia
    Nice skintone Carlos !
    Can you share your mix?

Thanks,
    Julius