1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique Alpine 1/35 US Army Officer #2

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by gothicgeek, Mar 26, 2011.

1. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi all!

Just for fun I managed to finish this superb little figure from Alpine ( sculpted by Kristian Bodi ) in about 3 days :)

All with Vallejo acrylics over Black Humbrol enamel undercoat... as an experiment.

The black base is useful to work colours up from and I can see the appeal ... For the moment I will only use this for figures I do for myself as the technique is a little different..

Anyway here is the picture :)

[IMG]

Far from my best work but by gum I enjoyed painting him!!!

:)

Mark

Attached Files:

Christos, jimias, sarouman and 5 others like this.
  2. housecarl A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    That's the beauty of the little 'uns Mark, you can knock them out. I don't know about it not being your best work, looks good to me. Black primer is just like anything new, just another excuse to paint more and practice.
    Carl.
  3. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Hi mate, sorry I dont agree... I like very much what you have done with this little gem:) BESIDE your fabulous work, your photos are great but this one (my humble opinion), are not so good as the others, perhaps because they are very distant and very clear but I do not know for sure:confused:
  4. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Carl ... Cheers matey! The new job is using up a lot of my energy atm so a couple of " Quickies " keep the juices flowing :)

Pedro ... Many thanks my friend! And for you, an embarrassingly large shot :eek:

:)

[IMG]
    sarouman likes this.
  5. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Mark, I dig the crinkly effect on the back of the coat! (y)
  6. Michael Tse Active Member

HongKong
    Hi Mark,
    THis may be far from your best work but it does the figure justice, and maybe more.

The face is beautiful, and quite unusually done, in a fantastic way. Would you entertain us and show us more about the face? Thanks!
  7. T50 A Fixture

United-States
    Far from your best work? 8O

Great job!
  8. kiwi45 Active Member

New_Zealand
    Mark, a nice little piece, have never tried the black base before, have CT's book on Waffen SS and he uses this approach, may try it. cheers Les
  9. Joseph Brubaker New Member

United-States
    Big Alpine fan,you did a beautiful job on this piece,thanks for posting..........Joseph
  10. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    Hi! Mark.
    The feel of a material of the uniform is wonderful.
    This figure is a very small figure.
    However you're painting very well.
    I think experimental painting is also successful in you.
    I congratulate completion.

Mitsutaka.
  11. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Great "shot" and brushwork Mark.
  12. sarouman A Fixture

Greece
  13. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    nice job Mark, I think the black undercoat works well.

Steve
  14. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Mark, great painting and nice touch with the added creases on the back of the coat.

Cheers Ken
  15. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Gordy ... They were there just exaggerated them a bit :)

Michael ... Thank you ... It was for fun and was fun, so for me, a success :) see below for a face pic :)

Taesung .... Many thanks ( and have you seen the boxarts you put out??? ) LoL!

Les ... Many thanks :)

Joseph ... Thank you! :)

Mitsutaka! ... Many thanks again :)

Pedro .. Many thanks :)

Alexandros ... Thanks again :)

Steve .. Thanks Mate! :)

Ken ... Thanks mate :) Crinkly Coat :)

Many thanks for all the positive comments, I'm quite pleased with how this worked and it's been a long time since I painted anything this small ( and sooo small ).

Also the box art by Marcin Skrzypek is out of this world! So anyway as a fun piece it worked as well as it can, I really enjoyed the process and playing about with a new technique..

This montage shows some of the problems with the face, harsh transitions, crappy eyes and a touch too harsh on the reds and blues ... that's what I see when I look at this.

In the real world with my eyes it looks fine :)

[IMG]