1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review Alpine 1/16th Deutsche Afrika Korps Grenadier

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Tommi, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Deutsche Afrika Korps Grenadier
    Sculpture by Taesung Harmms / Boxart by Calvin Tan

dak4.jpg dak1.jpg dak2.jpg dak3.jpg

This is the latest figure from Alpine Miniatures. 1/16th scale DAK Grenadier Sculpted by Taesung Harmms and cast in fifteen high quality resin parts. All parts are contained in a sturdy box and sandwiched between layers of foam. There is some very nice colour box art painted by Calvin Tan which can be used as an additional painting guide. The figure kit also gives two head options.
    Continued……………
  2. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Image1.jpg
    Image2.jpg

A close inspection of the kit parts shows an outstanding quality in both detail of sculpting and casting with very minimal clean-up of mould plugs and seam lines. This is something we come to expect from all figure kit from this company. For purposes of the review I have removed and cleaned most of the parts from their moulding blocks to show the excellent fit of the parts.

The two sections of the upper and lower torso have a very small plugs to remove as indicated by the markings in the picture below. This allows an exact flush fit of the two parts. The jacket is 1941 issue with European insignia.

Image3.jpg Image4.jpg

Close up detail of the arms and the detail of the Afrika Korps cuff title on the right arm that was usually issues after two months of service. The lettering is embossed for ease of painting.

Image5.jpg Image6.jpg

The boots show in the picture below were worn by most troops that were shipped out and landed in Tripoli at the beginning of the landings. Once the units were moved inland towards the battle area these boots proved impractical were discarded and replaced by shorter ankle boots or cut down the existing ones if supplies were short. The tight breeches that are shown on the kit figure were also replaced with trousers at a very early stage into the conflict.

Image7.jpg

Continued……………
    Vaux likes this.
  3. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The figure is armed with a Karabiner 98k (please correct if wrong) shown in the picture below removed and cleaned from the spru up for your close inspection. There is an additional smaller part to fit. The right hand is an integral part of the casting.

Image8.jpg

Front and rear views of standard infantry equipment , webbing and assault pack with mess tin. The camouflaged blanket is cast as part of the rear upper torso casting.

Image9.jpg Image9b.jpg

Two very nice head options are included in the kit, Steel helmet or standard field cap with sand goggles. Close ups below show the level of detail and quality.

Image10.jpg Image11.jpg

Some or the parts shown cleaned up and part assembled for test fitting. All parts key in exact with no evidence of any filler needed.

Image12.jpg

Conclusion:
    Another outstanding release from this long established company. The quality in both detail and casting is outstanding. Clean-up of parts is very minimal and the entire kit took me less than 1 hour to prepare ready for priming. This figure fills a hole in the market place for a DAK figure in this scale and quality. I for one look forward to painting this very exciting piece very soon, highly recommended 10\10.

Availability:
    Alpine Miniatures: http://www.alpineminiatures.com/
    Dealers and Distributors: http://www.alpineminiatures.com/dealersdistributors.html
    Reference: Osprey Warrior 149 Afrika Korps Soldier. ISBN 978-1-84603-688-0

Cheers
    Tommi
    Ferris, NickM, Lancio and 5 others like this.
  4. kaz6120 A Fixture

Japan
    Great review Tommi, Thanks!!
  5. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for the review Tommi, I've been toying with the idea of getting one of these and this helps. Just to add to your post, I like the inclusion of the Gewehr Sprenggranate (grenade launcher), to the 98k. The separate sight is well detailed and the carriying case (the large 'V' shaped pouch), completes the setup.

Joe
  6. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great review Tommi!

Another one for the wish list :)
  7. Vaux Well-Known Member

Spain
    It is an incredible figure, i like it, only I have a doubt on the tape of the cuff, should not put "AfrikaKorps"? "Afrika" I think the veterans had that corp from 1943.
    If anyone can tell would be nice.

Thanks!
  8. Vaux Well-Known Member

Spain
    Ok. According to information consulted, that tape was granted to personnel wounded or six months of service or three months of tropical disease. Was introduced from January 15, 1943. Only a few soldiers received before the surrender in Tunisia.
    I missed those high boots from beginning of war in Africa, with the cuff.
  9. Michael Tse Active Member

HongKong
    Alpine rocks again. Cheers for affording a good look at the piece!