1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Almost finished with My cousin Len

Discussion in 'Digis - Digital Miniatures 3D Modeling' started by RKapuaala, Mar 20, 2012.

1. RKapuaala Active Member

United-States
    len2.png len1.png
    My cousin Len and I used to spend the entire summer barefoot and shirtless, until the sun went down and the mosquitos came out to feed. Most of the time we either rummaged around the old freight yard by his house or caught frogs and turtles down by the creek; when we weren't doing either of those two things we were fighting, and when we weren't fighting with each other we were fighting with someone else. Since my cousin passed away I've been trying to do his likenesss. Its been a few years now and this is as close as I can get. It's hard to do people you know really well. You can take measurements of their face and copy the curve of their eyes and yet it just doesn't look like them. Something is always missing.
    Mike S., Meehan34 and Steve like this.
  2. RKapuaala Active Member

United-States
    I made a few changes to the above figure and uploaded him to shapeways. I'm getting him printed in 3 different materials to obtain a clear benchmark of what type of detail to expect from each of the materials. Len is 1:20.32 scale, but is only 2.5" making him smaller than 75mm. Darko had a figure printed in the base material that was 75mm so I thought this one would work best for evaluation purposes. Here is a list of the materials I am printing him in order of price starting with the lowest price.
    White detailed - minimum detail level is .2mm min wall thickness is 1 mm it is not very heat resistive
    Frosted Detailed - minimum detail level is .1mm min wall thickness is .5mm can stand heat up to 176 degrees F
    Ultra Frosted Detailed - minimum detail level is .1mm minimum wall thickness .3mm also heat up to 176

I can't be sure how well these will print out. The prices below are in order of appearance on the above list.
    13.92 USD
    14.13 USD
    18.33 USD
    Shipping was 6.5 USD
  3. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    where did you grow up? Sounds just like my childhood. the figure looks excellent BTW.
  4. RKapuaala Active Member

United-States
    Mike,
    I grew up all over the place, Hawaii, Mississippi, Tennesee, Illionois then California. I count the 3 years I spent traveling around Europe as part of my growing up process, ass well as the year in Mexico even though I was already 21 by that time.
    Meehan34 likes this.
  5. RKapuaala Active Member

United-States
    comparisonLen.jpg
    They didn't come till the end of the day (Thanks UPS) despite the fact that the UPS driver drove by my house 3x and different intervals of the day (They must get gas for free at UPS). I was a little disappointed at first.
    The image above from your left to your right is 3" print of len by a friend of mine with his primitive printing machine in Nylon. 2.5 " prints of len from Shapeways in FUD FD and WD materials.
    harrylen.jpg
    As you can see the FUD figure is very hairy,,, not like the first figure I got from shapeways and there is more of the frosted look, all over the figure with spots of smoothness. I'm wondering if the frosted look is added on during the printing process, or afterwards as a special affect. If it is afterwards as a special affect, then I wish they would stop because it sucks.
    lenafteragoodscrubing.jpg
    I didn't know what to do at first, I tried rubbing it off with a tooth brush and water, but that didn't work, so I took some baking soda and started brushing the frosted areas and after about 2 minutes it seem to get better but my eyes are bad so I had to take this close up shot with my cell phone to see if it was really working, and it did.
    poorlyprimed1.jpg
    I was in too much of a rush, I think if I would have spent more time with the tooth brush and the baking soda I could have polished it up better, but I wanted to confirm that the detail was there and the only way to be certain was to prime.
    Have you folks ever seen The Leage of Extraordinary Men? One of my favorite effects is when the character skinner puts face paint on so people can see him. That's what it was like priming these two. All at once the details just shot right out at me and even though len was a little rough I was amazed at what I could see.
    coininhispocket.jpg
    The button on Lens trousers, the belt loops the seams and even the coin in his pocket were there waiting for me to polish them out a little.
    wrinkelsonknuckles.jpg
    I already knew there was a lot of detail on the drunk, but I was surprised when I could see the wrinkles on his knuckles despite more hastey job of priming the two figures they look great and with a little work Len could become very good indeed, worthy of a master. I figure that at 2.5" Len scales out to be about 72" (6') in 1:29ths scale, making that scale a reasonable one to print out. In 1:24 scale he is about 5' tall making him a very reasonable detail for a 1:24 scale figure.
    Anyway, hope this helps folks,,, BTW did I fail to mention,,,, These 3 figures (not the one my friend printed) were 9 days late on delivery. I thought after that long a time they would have been shipped out in better condition.
    Mike S. likes this.
  6. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    Wow - it looks great, primer shows the real condition of the print.
    If the Len is 2.5" then it is visible smaller than my figure - thank you for the info - i decided to try it myself with the FUD ;)
    Delivery time does not bothering me, as long as the print is good enough ;)

BTW: "frosting" is "side effect" that is caused by "support wax", and it is not added deliberately (if I understand well the infos I picked up from shapeway forums).
  7. RKapuaala Active Member

United-States
    Can't wait to see your prints Darko. I've completed two other sculpts and ordered prints too. I'm stoked about how well they turn out. Now I've got to figure out a way to put joints on them so I can cast them in the future as kits.
  8. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    Maybe we should consider making meshes already prepared for the molding ? We coud make insertion pins using "booleans" so they fit perfectly. I'll try to do it that way ;)
  9. RKapuaala Active Member

United-States
    Darko, that sounds very interesting. Hopefully you will start a new thread with the details included.
  10. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    Ok, I'll try, but currently have some deadlines to catch, probably no time for sculpting util the end of the week :(