1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed All Quiet Western Front WW1

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by smudger1960, Jan 13, 2011.

1. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    I would also recommend any of the books by Jack Sheldon, English language books written from the German viewpoint using German archives for research.

Roger
  2. BarrieHynd Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Wonderfull work Brian, the trench section you have made is superb and compliments the figure very well. Very well done m8.

Barrie.
  3. Ventress Well-Known Member

England
    Great figure and scene, I agree, soldiers dont do as they are told- I didnt- I wore a "Chinese Fighting suite" in BAOR long after it had been withdrawn as obsolete!
  4. Jimmy S Well-Known Member

Australia
    Great discussion on the helmets, once again proving the Planet as THE place to get the best advice on all things figure. My two cents: How about replacing the Stahlhelm with a British helmet.....I'm sure there were plenty of those lying around....
  5. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    Actually...not
    Brits didn't get their Brodies until until a couple of months (April, 1916) after the Germans had started getting the Stahlhelm (first issued at Verdun in February 1916). So both would be equally out of place. I mean, instead of making something work, the easiest "fix" would just be to remove the Stahlhelm. Short of that, I would at least remove the spike from the Pickelhaub, there was no overlap period from Sept. 1915, when the spike was ordered removed, to when the Stahlhelms started to show up, it was a gap of 5 months. Just some trivial information. It still looks very good regardless.
  6. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    Amazing ground work!
    Indeed it's wonderful.
    Wonderful DIORAMA.
    I congratulate completion.

Mitsutaka.
  7. Ferris A Fixture

Really excellent work: the painting, detailing.....well the whole setup really. This is some classic high detail modelling that is able to make you think you are witnessing a real WW1 slice of life. Top notch!

Cheers,
    Adrian
  8. jimmy1969 Member

China
    Admire, like a one-dimensional picture
  9. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    I would like to say a big thank you to all my fellow modelers for all their kind coments,the figure was a great pleasure to paint and i'm glad you all liked it and found it an interesting topic to talk about.
    I take on board all the points you have made about the stalheim and the picklehaube but i think i'm going to leave it as it is,this was a point i completly overlooked when asembling the scene and i'm very grateful for all your historic knowledge in correcting me on this point.

Just to add to those of you who asked about the posters and signs,these are all from the verlinden range,although these are specificaly designed for 1/35th scale dioramas i feel some of the signs could be used for any scale from 1/35th up,there are produced on pieces of card and cut out as required,i used PVA glue to attach them to the scene,the wooden crates are also from the verlinden range again 1/35th but they could apply to any scale,the verlinden range are available from Historex Agents in the United Kingdom and are very reasonably priced.

Once again a very big thank you,i'm quite bowled over by the amount of replies i've recieved,i'm just about to start my next piece which will be a bust of William Wallace based on the Mel Gibson Character from Braveheart produced by Nocturna Models,i hope i can do him justice as well as i did the prussian infantryman.

Happy Modeling,Brian :):)
    gordy likes this.