1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

All Quiet on the Western Front - new movie.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Tannvargur, Sep 11, 2022.

1. Tannvargur Member

Sweden

I wonder if this movie will generate even more interesting figures about this war and its units. I hope so. There are so many variations between the different nations and the military units within, Especially in the beginning of the war, with many pre-war details. And I am very happy that Jeff Shiu latest one portray this period.
    Nap, Mike - The Kiwi, MCPWilk and 4 others like this.
  2. Larsen E. Whipsnade Moderator

United-States
    The novel by Erich Maria Remarque is an amazing read and some say the best war novel of all time. The original 1930 All Quiet on the Western Front movie starring Lew Ayres is still as powerful and unsettling as if it were made yesterday. Can't wait to see this re-make. Hope it's as good as the original.
    Rick
    Nap, MCPWilk and Mirofsoft like this.
  3. marco55 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Looks good.I'll watch it.(y)
    Mark
  4. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Amazing seeing this released over 100 years since WW1
    Fascinated when learnt awhile ago original title in German “
    Im Westen nichts Neues” - “In the West Nothing New…” hints at most common part of war, boredom. This book’s humanity is more about what happens when the fighting stops.
    Background behind first German adaptation is just as interesting
    https://amp.theguardian.com/film/20...quiet-on-the-western-front-shows-shame-of-war

We can but hope it’s anti War sentiment is more influential today than it was in the 1930’s…
    MikeTheKiwi
    Nap likes this.
  5. Larsen E. Whipsnade Moderator

United-States
    Mike, war has been aptly described as 'long periods of boredom punctuated by moments of sheer terror'.
    Rick
    Blind Pew and Mike - The Kiwi like this.
  6. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    Original Title in English is: "All quiet on the Western Front" and refers to the final climax of the novel when the main character Paul Bäumer is killed in action on a day that was so calm that the daily report of the Military Command told just "all quiet on the Western Front". I am interested in the film that will go beyond the story of the novel but will limit my expectations to avoid disappointment. Today in Germany every movie has to contain the message that we have to despise military actions and have to be ashamed of our past and our ancestors... So I am prepared for a narrow view on history combined with today's special effects when it comes to Action scenes. What they seem to have paid special attention to are the horrid weather and terrain conditions for the front line soldiers. So lets wait and see.
    Nap and Mike - The Kiwi like this.
  7. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for the spoil, Martin!
  8. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    Who knows - I was just going from the novel, but maybe the film will strive for an happy end and Paul will make it and Germany wins WWI.....
    Cheers Martin
    Blind Pew likes this.
  9. Larsen E. Whipsnade Moderator

United-States
    LOL Martin.....
    Martin64 likes this.