1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Algerian Tirailleur Bust

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by Bobby, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Bobby Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi all,

I thought I would post up my progress with my current project to get some feedback and criticism. It is an Algerian Tirailleur, 1840 from Sant Yago miniatures. I picked it up cheap mainly for practice on this scale and to try out oils for the first time.

I undercoated the face in Andrea acrylic flesh paint set base tone 2 then laid a scrub coat over that in Burnt Umber oil - an idea I took from Ron's (Kagemusha) fantastic thread. Unlike Ron I left the scrub coat wet to work in the face tones in oil. The rest I am doing in acrylics.

Ron (Kagemusha) has already given me some pointers regarding the skin tone being a bit pale but I would be very grateful for any other feedback. Thanks! DSC02934.JPG DSC02935.JPG DSC02939.JPG
    gforceman and Tarracus like this.
  2. Tarracus A Fixture

Great work so far(y). About flesh tones 1st and 2nd pictures I agree they're quite pale, greyish, but the 3rd looks really fine to me.
  3. Bobby Member

United-Kingdom
    and here's where I've got to as of today... DSC02941.JPG DSC02942.JPG DSC02943.JPG DSC02944.JPG
    Tarracus likes this.
  4. Figurenfreund66 Well-Known Member

Germany
    Great skintone - i like it !

Use the next photo, a smooth background - Photo Paper, then the picture will be sharp and not the background!

Cheers

Hendryk
    Bobby likes this.
  5. Bobby Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks! I agree I think lighting may have been a problem (again) in some of the photos. Just a point regarding the sculpt, the eyes are uneven (his left is smaller than his right). Not sure if that was intentional by the sculptor!
  6. Figurenfreund66 Well-Known Member

Germany
    Hi Bobby

the eyes are ok, that is in the sculpt .

Hendryk
  7. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thats not a bad face at all and the red on the hat is class.

Ron T
  8. Tarracus A Fixture

Agree with Hendry, anyway, if was intentional by the sculptor or not is not a problem IMO, it looks quite natural. Remember that we, most of the mortals have an non-symmetrical face (except maybe Brad Pitt):D.
    On the other side, I didn't know the existence of such firm "Sant Yago miniatures", have they any website to have a look to?
    (also agree with the scottish bersaglieri.. those reds are really powerful!!)
  9. Bobby Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Ron and Tarracus. It's an old style of fez I believe. I was going to highlight a bit more on the top but I think it stands out enough as it is. He might end up looking too much like santa's little helper!

Re Sant Yago Miniaturas, I can't find a website for them. Not even the contact details come up in google. The inlay card gives the address as Santiago de Compostela in Galicia.
    I got the bust on ebay second hand. It's quite old and the label is hand written so I get the impression they may have been a small outfit that are no longer trading. The sculptor is listed as Enrique Rubio. Don't know if he's well known in the hobby?
  10. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Very nice work Bobby.
    Carl.(y)
  11. Tarracus A Fixture

In any case you've catched an interesting fish on ebay(y)
  12. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Bobby, glad to see you put it up mate. Coming along very nicely indeed. Have to say the flesh tone looks much better than in the first pics you showed me. Red is gorgeous and agree leave as is. You could, if you wanted too, go just a shade darker in the shadow areas of the shirt. An exceptional start to a first shot with oils. Well done mate.

Ron
  13. Bobby Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks very much Ron. I´m having a bit of trouble blending the highlights but I´ll try to be a bit more adventurous with them. Should have another update this week.
  14. Bobby Member

United-Kingdom
    Here's the more or less finished bust. My excuse for the poor photos is that I'm still in between house moves so don't have even the most basic equipment!

I found the blue the hardest part to get right for some reason. I think in hindsight I should have bought myself a darker blue as the shadows were done by just adding black to the blue and this did n't seem to work too well somehow. Anyway, let me know what you think. Thanks in advance!

DSC02965.JPG

Attached Files:

billyturnip likes this.
  15. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Great work Bobby.
    Your brushwork on the face and fez is exceptionally good.
    Well done my friend.
    Cheers,
    Keith
  16. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Bobby ,

Like what you have done with this , nice blues as well , agree about the fez ...nice brushwork and colour .

Not being an oily man all I can say is its been an enjoyable thread resulting in a nice model so well done .

I would be interested in howyou found using oils for the 1st time ?

Nap
  17. Bobby Member

United-Kingdom
    Keith - thanks, much appreciated.

Nap - Thanks very much. Only the face was done in oils but I really enjoyed working with them. I think I'll stick with oils from here on in when it comes to painting flesh. I'll definitely be trying a whole project in oils soon as well (when I build up my paint collection!).
    I found Ron's recent SBS on his technique using oils really helpful, particularly the scrub coat he puts on initially for shadows.
  18. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Bobby, and well done mate. Turned out really good for a first shot at oils on the face. Remember that you don't need a huge range of colours when you start out with oils. I would suggest you look at your first full project in oils and choose a basic set of colours that will allow you to complete it. You can add to your colours as you go on from there. There are some nice 'Starter' sets available on the market at reasonable prices.

Ron
  19. Bobby Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Ron, very kind. Now you mention it I have just bought a Windsor & Newton starter kit. 10 x 37ml tubes for just £12 on ebay! Add those to the ones I already have for flesh tones and I'm probably sorted for now.
    I think I'll stick with acrylics for everything apart from flesh on my next couple of projects simply because I want to improve my skills with them but I'll be doing an all-oils figure in the medium term definitely.