1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Alexandros Models: Manfred Von Richthofen, The Red Baron

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by Blue Thunder, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Brilliant! Another German. Lovely work all round.

Gells
  2. njwarhead Member

Wow this is the best job I seen done on this bust so far.
  3. Mike S. Well-Known Member

United-States
    The best depiction of the Baron in bust form I've seen, both in terms of sculpting and painting. Wonderful figure.
  4. offo A Fixture

Brilant work. (y)
  5. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    You like the Germans :D
  6. Captain Lol A Fixture

Belgium
    Fantastic sculpting (y)
  7. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Not my favourite subject,but the sculpting and the painting of his jacket is brilliant.
    Brian
  8. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Yes Ron! I'm also very much into positive comments too!;)

Gells
  9. Merryweather A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Jacket texture- WOW!
    how do you DO that?-(I don't really expect you to let on, Ebroin, but what fantastic sculpt)
  10. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Absolutely stunning,from the sculpting to the painting,i would have to disagree with my fellow colleague PMFS,i think the likeness is very good having seen photographs of the man himself and i think the sculptor has captured this very well,the addition of the coat / scarf / gloves / cane give this bust so much more,its a definate buy for me,i've already painted the Andrea bust of him but this is something else,congratulations to Alexandros on another great release (y)

Brian
  11. Blue Thunder A Fixture

Portugal
    Stunning figure, right guys? :) I just purchased mine yesterday. Hope it arrives today or tomorrow. If you wish I may show it.

As I'm one of those who also makes planes, Red Baron references abound here. I checked several of my references trying to find a similar photograph, but gladly the pose seems to pick inspiration from several well know photos and art paints. There are immense photos of the Red Baron, however, perhaps, the primary inspiration for this bust was this art plate:

[IMG]

Many of the elements that compose the bust are here too :) But it is noticeable a huge creativity gap between these two creations.

Opening the colors for debate, I could not locate a single photograph where the leather jacket appears to be in a light color as the one displayed. Here are some of the many you can find:
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

But judgment of a century old photos is as we know highly dubious. However, I'm planning for my own a darker coat: Dark Brown or Black.

Another debatable point is the collar. What is the correct color? Full Red? The Grey green uniform color with red bordering? Or an intermediate green?

In the past I red them all. And all possible stories about them. You know what we like to speak about: "it's grey green" "no, it's red!", "no it was grey green, then he was promoted and the color became red!", "no it's a stronger green made from felt or velvet, no red was ever worn", "No, initially the uniform was plain color, the collar was added later and the color is green" ... :) we like these stories don't we, fellows?

Let's see if light can come up now:

In some images it certainly looks a hugely close color:

[IMG]

However, a close up reveals something that appears different:

[IMG]

And please, compare the shades of the uniform with the shades of cap:

[IMG]

Food for debate, hopefully! :) To make things right, please what would be the correct color for the collar?

Great miniature Youn! Congratulations!
    LVM likes this.
  12. elanlane13 A Fixture

England
    Great subject, very well executed
  13. kilsh Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Looks great!

Is there a UK source and price for this yet?

I checked out Green Models and Alexandros and cant see anything on their sites either?

Cheers

Neil
  14. Augie Active Member

United-States
    Richthofen's first military assignment after completing cadet training was the Ulanen-Regiment Kaiser Alexander der III. von Russland (1. Westpreußisches) Nr. 1. The collar and piping of this regiment's uniform were Ponceau (Poppy) Red; buttons were gilt. The red colour is amply substantiated by the pictures posted above.

Hope this helps.

Augie
  15. Crookedjaw Member

United-Kingdom
    Excellent! That jacket looks superb.
  16. Theodoros A Fixture

Greece
    So realistic painting by Alex !!!:eek: