1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Alexander the Great (Alexandros Models) - 75mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by legend69, May 10, 2015.

1. legend69 Well-Known Member

Greece
    Hi Adrian,

Thanks for your encouragement. I did not make any adjustments to the horse.....but because it is metal and the fit isn't exactly perfect....alot of work went into putting it together and smoothening the joints with putty. I filled each hollow side with polyester putty inserted two pins to hold everything together and glued it together. Then a lot of putty to smooth the joints...let it dry and sanded it....with light grain sandpaper. Oh....because the horse is heavy you will needs to pin it to the base....three holes in the hind legs and tail.....ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY as it weighs a ton.

It is a wonderful figure and the detail is great. I really look forward to seeing your version.

Thanks

Anthony
  2. legend69 Well-Known Member

Greece
    Thanks Paul...this figure has been sitting on my work bench for a LONG time....thanks for the encouragement.....i am almost at the finishing line.....
  3. legend69 Well-Known Member

Greece
    Hi Claude....i prefer resin over metal figures any day of the week. But even this one although not perfect, is very very good and in my opinion....worth every cent.

Anthony
  4. Ferris A Fixture

Hi Claude,

Can I get them second hand...!? :)
  5. Redcap A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Fabulous work and yours is the ATG figure Alexandros (should) have made. Their own version does nothing for me at all, though their 54mm Roman range of figures by Larruccia is tremendous.

Gary
    legend69 likes this.
  6. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Same here. I had three or four Alexandros figures in the stash but have since offloaded them all. The casting wasn't so bad, but the parts fit was awful.

- Steve
    legend69 likes this.
  7. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I missed this one first time round. Great work Anthony. (y)

- Steve
    legend69 likes this.
  8. Alex A Fixture

Canada
    quick question about the pins in the legs and the tail.
    how deep were you able to get them ?
    I mean because of the 90 degrees bend in the rear legs, there s no way we can get a pin through that angle. I have seen 90 mm mounted figures where the legs completely broke right over where the pin was finishing in the legs.
    I still question myself these days what is the best way to pin those 90 and 75 mm horses for long term stability.
    of course hiding a central pin within tall grass under the belly of the horse would be ideal but far from pretty.
    You can add another pin going from the top of the horse through the upper part of the legs and then the usual ones from under but I think that will create another problem where the metal between the two pins will be too thin to support the weight.
  9. legend69 Well-Known Member

Greece
    Hi Gary....thanks for your kind words.....i have finally finished Alexander...and will post some pics soon. I am in the montrouge paris show....where he will be officially introduced to the public.....

Thanks once again.

Anthony
  10. legend69 Well-Known Member

Greece
    Hi Alex,

I maxed it out with the pins....on one leg i accidentally went through and the drill came out of the leg....but with a bit of putty that was easily fixable. With the three pins there is no need for any other pin on the horse. The pins were a bit thick...about three times the thickness of a paper clip. It has done the job of holding a very heavy figure.

Anthony
  11. legend69 Well-Known Member

Greece
    A bit more progress...will call it done after i get back home from the paris show...and put some final touches....

Thanks again for looking.

Attached Files:

Redcap likes this.
  12. Redcap A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Anthony - a great "teaser" photograph! Look forward to seeing the pictures when you are back from the show.
    Gary
    legend69 likes this.