1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Alcock and Brown 100 years Today

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by chippy, Jun 15, 2019.

1. chippy Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    A small snippet on the news this morning brought this to my attention .
    100 years ago on the 15 June 1919 Alcock and Brown made the first none stop flight across the Atlantic .
    Leaving St Johns Newfoundland on the 14th June 1919 they made land at Clifden, County Galway , Ireland 15 hours 57 minutes later after a heroic journey .
    The plane a Vickers Vimy Bomber land in a peat bog and ended up nose down images (1)and b2.jpg
    A crowd had gather around , someone in the crowd asked where have you come from "America "Alcock replied The crowed laughed refusing to believe it , but Alcock and Brown had crossed the 1890 miles in 15 hrs 57 mins to win the £10,000 prize on offer for the first plane to cross the Atlantic .
    Here's a link to a very good short documentary https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/extra/bM5diyl48K/alcock

I would like to do a diorama on this subject . I was hoping to do it in 1/48th figures and 1/48th plane but I can only find 1/72nd planes so maybe I could do the two figures in 1/32nd on a plinth behind the plane like the statue to Alcock and Brown .
    download (1)a nd b.jpg
    The only kits I can find for the Vickers Vimy Bomber are by Frog and Eastern Express , two firms I have never heard of . As i know there are a few modellers on here who do aircraft does anyone have experience of either of this firms
    chippy
    Chris Oldfield likes this.
  2. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I think the two planes are from the same moulds - unless there is someone here who can correct me! Frog kits were not bad, in their day and with some work, can polish up OK. They are not really of the "shake and make" variety!!

Steve(y)
    DaddyO likes this.
  3. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    It wouldn't surprise me if due to this commemoration, someone produces a new Vickers Vimy kit - Wingnut Wings have produced heavy biplane bombers & flying boats in 1/32nd scale before...…...
  4. chippy Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Thank you Steve for clearing that up for me . I think I will look out for a reasonably priced Frog kit .

Thanks for the reply Chris but a 1/32nd would be to large , I couldn't afford a WNW kit and I will be surprised if a kit is produced as this heroic achievement had hardly any mention , a 30 second section on the early morning news was the only thing I caught about it . We do not remember are heroes very well in the UK .
    chippy
  5. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Agreed, WNW kits are horrendously expensive (even secondhand), but they do build into exquisite models. The Frog 1/72 Vimy does turn up from time to time on eBay etc. but as it’s a 1960s-vintage kit it will need a lot of work. I could be mistaken, but I think back in the day Frog may have produced an Alcock & Brown commemorative kit......

Chris.
  6. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Just done a bit of checking - the Alcock & Brown version was the first of Frog’s Vimy releases, in “The Trailblazers” series in 1964 (kit no.F163). Several examples on eBay at the moment for not too silly prices, if it helps.
  7. chippy Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Chris , I have now marked 3 on my watch list on ebay . Hopefully I should get one :D
  8. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I remember building one of the Frog kits wayyyyyyy back.
    Compared to the Airfix models around the same period it was pretty crude, but looked 'Vimy' like when built so I was quite happy. I've no idea how accurate it is, but treat yourself some 'Strutz' type rod for making the inter-plane struts and sand down the wing undersides to bring the thickness down to something less and you should manage okay visually. Lots of things you can do to make on old kit look better, but you quickly get into the realms of scratchbuilding rather than 'improving' ;)
    Good luck
    Paul
  9. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Have a look on Britmodeller, there’s a stunning build of the Frog Vimy on there. I think it uses the Eastern Express reboxing of the kit, but it’s the same Frog moulding.
  10. chippy Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Chris , I have looked it up and yes it's a stunning model . You have also introduced me to another modelling site I did not know of , so I will be on there now instead of modelling :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
    chippy
  11. Woods457 Active Member

United-Kingdom
  12. chippy Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Woods457 likes this.