1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Albert Jacka wip pics

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by mil-mart, Jan 31, 2011.

1. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Up-date to my vBench.

Albert Jacka VC
    19th May 1915. Gallipoli campaign at Anzac Cove in the Dardanelles.

The full citation for the Victoria Cross appeared in a supplement to the London Gazette on 23 July 1915:[8]
    War Office, 24th July, 1915 His Majesty the KING has been graciously pleased to award the Victoria Cross to the undermentioned Officers and Non-commissioned Officers:-
    No. 465 Lance-Corporal Albert Jacka, 14th Battalion, Australian Imperial Forces.
    For most conspicuous bravery on the night of the 19th-20th May, 1915 at "Courtney's Post", Gallipoli Peninsula.
    Lance-Corporal Jacka, while holding a portion of our trench with four other men, was heavily attacked. When all except himself were killed or wounded, the trench was rushed and occupied by seven Turks. Lance-Corporal Jacka at once most gallantly attacked them single-handed, and killed the whole party, five by rifle fire and two with the bayonet.

Attached Files:

2. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    More pics

Attached Files:

gothicgeek, SRP, Centaur and 8 others like this.
  3. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks to Carl (housecarl ) for the suggestion and Tony Dawe for all the help in supplying information and reference material, Cheers guys.

Cheers Ken
    gordy likes this.
  4. red tom Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Bonzer mate
    Tom
  5. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    G,day Tom and thanks matey.

Cheers Ken
  6. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    You and Tony did all the hard work, I didn't notice the VC.
    Top work,
    Carl.
  7. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Immensely helpful, I will add also ;)

Beautiful work Ken, thanks for sharing the sculpt with us! (y)
  8. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    I bet Tony wants a copy of one of these!!!!! Nice work and definately best of Luck with the Cheif competition.
    Ben
  9. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    Wow, Ken:

You're are off to a great start. What a special joy it must be to be able to
    sculpt . . . A wonderful photograph too.

Good luck

K Kid
  10. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Absolutely outstanding, Ken!!

All the best,
    Dan
  11. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    I totally agree Dan.

For a portrait bust, I think this is Ken's best effort to date. Yes, I know I'm biased, but I also think I'm right.

You've captured the essence of the young Jacka's character and attitude.

When you compare this photo to another photo of Jacka taken only four years later, you can see how the horrors of war aged him prematurely.

It's hard to reconcile the image of the jaunty young Corporal Jacka in your 1915 reference photo, with this studio portrait photo of Captain Jacka taken in 1919.

Well done mate.

Attached Files:

12. sarouman A Fixture

Greece
  13. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Carl, thanks mate I added the VC at the last minute just thought the base needed something.
    Gordy, many thanks.
    Ben, much appreciated and I think you're right.:)
    Rick, cheers mate , I wish I could say it's down to my photographic expertise , however my camera is stuck taking these dark pics until I get the time to read he manual.
    Dan, thanks and PM sent.
    Tony, thanks again for all the help on this , certainly made it a lot easier for me . Such an interesting character too, shame that he died at the early age of 39. For more info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Jacka
    Alexandros, many thanks.

Cheers Ken
  14. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Great work. Really like this bust.

marc
  15. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Hi Ken!

Another beautiful WWI subject.
    Great sculpture!(y)
  16. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hello Ken,excellent piece of sculpting(y)

Regards,John
  17. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Marc, many thanks.
    Pedro, cheers my friend glad you like the subject.
    John, much appreciated.

Cheers Ken
  18. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    As I said mate great idea of a bust and a much needed subject in my opinion, you definitely have a knack for capturing likeness in your busts. Nice idea to separate the slouch hat and provide location lugs for fitting later.

Great job mate on this one, a more than deserving subject for capturing in miniature.

All the best mate

Steve
  19. Michaelg Member

Canada
    He was only 26 when this photo was taken and dead at 39 according to Wikipedia...
    On 14 December 1931, Jacka collapsed after a council meeting and was admitted to Caulfield Military Hospital. On 17 January 1932, one week after his 39th Birthday, he died from chronic nephritis; he was buried at St. Kilda Cemetery, with eight other Victoria Cross recipients acting as pallbearers and an estimated 6,000 witnesses to the burial as his body passed en route to the cemetery.
  20. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    hi ken
    as always cracking.tried to sculpt an raw head some days ago.so i can only guess wich talents are needed to sculpt on such levels
    complients