1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Albert Ball vc - improving Carl Reid sculpts

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by david pickford, Feb 22, 2014.

1. david pickford Active Member

Hello fellas- here was a quick head sculpt I did of WW1 Flying Ace Albert Ball. Carl Reid's a pretty decent sculptor, but he must have had a few beers when he did this 75mm effort for SK Miniatures!
    His sculpt looked more like Liberace than Albert, who was a good looking guy! The head was too long in profile and the ear in the wrong place, the bouffant hair style was so wrong!!! IMG_1920.JPG IMG_1924.JPG IMG_1922.JPG IMG_1926.jpg IMG_1935.jpg IMG_1938.jpg IMG_1939.jpg IMG_1940.jpg IMG_1942.jpg Albertpic.jpg
  2. carl reid A Fixture

England
    Based on your philosophy David, you must have had a few beers to buy it in the first place!

But thanks anyway for your opinion!

Carl
    Gellso, theBaron, Filipe and 20 others like this.
  3. red tom Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Nice one Carl
    Sturm Grenadier, DEL, Barke02 and 3 others like this.
  4. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Troll (Internet)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "Trolling" redirects here. For other uses, see Troll (disambiguation).
    In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtrl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a forum, chat room, or blog), either accidentally[3][4] or with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[5] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[6]
  5. david pickford Active Member

I did buy it though Carl, and it should work up into a pretty nice scene!
  6. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    David if it was your intention to generate comments and critique on your work it's hardly the best way to start a thread by slagging off another persons work. What were you drinking.o_O

Cheers Ken
  7. david pickford Active Member

You know me too well Ken...
  8. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    I think that you should rework the area around the eyes and that you should reconsider the way you present your work over here. Otherwise a nice conversion of a nice sculpt!
    Cheers, Martin
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  9. sd0324 PlanetFigure Supporter

You are a piece of work.
    Luis R. likes this.
  10. swralph A Fixture

11. carl reid A Fixture

England
    Having read this thread a couple of times, it leaves me confused to what the motive of it is.
    Is it to promote your abilities as a sculptor David?
    Or an an attack on me?

Because if it was the first, you killed it stone dead, by making it about me!

If it were the second, then feel free to attack away!
    You see I don't force anyone to like what I do, I sculpt pieces and if the modelling community embrace them so be it!

I have no control. The modellers make their own decisions.

There is a third option of course, and that is someone just wanting to be controversial!

Carl
  12. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Interesting approach this, anyway I made my views on the Far Side post over on vBench
  13. carl reid A Fixture

England
    I know I saw it Del.

Carl
  14. waterloo1815 Active Member

United-States
    Carl - You know sometimes ya just need to be thick skinned!!! Don't pay any attention to him - just keep cranking out some of the most BEAUTIFUL {AWESOME} sculpts this hobby has ever seen!!! As far as Mr. Pickford goes - if you don't like it here - why stop??? Just keep moving along!!! Dave
  15. carl reid A Fixture

England
    Cheers Dave!
    Don't worry mate I've got skin thicker than an armour plated rhino wear a flak jacket... lol

Just intrigued to know the motive!

Carl
  16. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi David, well you certainly got off to a 'hot' start on here :wideyed:
    Speaking from a purely personal point of view, I have been a member of PF for a number of years. I returned to figures after a 25 year break. I received a very warm welcome and great support from the members.
    Last year at Euro, I was lucky enough to meet Carl and 'Moz'. I have to say that, considering they could easily be regarded as members of the 'elite', I have never met two such down to earth, fun guys.
    Add to that the friends I have made on PF, and I consider myself fortunate to have found such a deep well of knowledge and support for the hobby I love.
    Recently, I decided to take a break from 'historical' pieces, and return to my roots in larger scale pieces and airbrushing. I received a lot of very warm comments on my decision which, when I have sorted out what I want to do, will encourage me to return full time to the forum, knowing that I can rely on honest criticism and support for what I want to achieve in the future.
    Having looked at your stuff on 'V-Bench' I hope you will take the time to settle in and get to know the people here a little better. I promise you it will be worth it.

Regards

Ron
  17. david pickford Active Member

OK- I'd had a few drinks, it was a stunt, I was showing off, being controversial, provoking a response, trolling, being a d****head. It was nothing personal Carl, I haven't met you, just know about your work from magazines and the internet. I'm sorry.
    baronband and Mariobusta like this.
  18. carl reid A Fixture

England
    Apology accepted!
    Maybe you should be aware of what you write in future, and spend more time honing your skills than trying to be controversial!

But how do you explain the thread with almost identical dialogue on another forum? Was you drunk then also?

Carl
    theBaron and Hecky_uk like this.
  19. Ventress Well-Known Member

England
    Troll? I would have thought other descriptives would have been more appropriate.
    Wings5797 likes this.
  20. Funky50 Guest

Does anyone else think that Albert Ball bears any uncanny resemblance to Ricky Butcher(of East Enders fame)?....Lol
    Gellso and napoleonpeart like this.