1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Alabamian

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by y_wong, Nov 17, 2004.

1. y_wong New Member

Dear folks,

Here is a preview of my yet to finish Alabamian which I sculpted previously. If all goes well it should be completed some time next week.

Hope you like it

regards :lol:

Attached Files:

2. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Vey nice painting my friend Wong. Is that in acrylics? I like your flesh tones a lot. What's your mix?
  3. Roc Active Member

United-States
    He Wong, nery nice , as usual extreemly well done. ;)

Keep up the good work.

Roc. :)
  4. y_wong New Member

Dear Kisifer,

Yes, it is acrylic (tamiya and humbrol). The colours are red, yellow, white, flesh, white and brown. I tend to mix my paints to get the various tones. For the clothing, I used vallejo acrylics.

Dear Roc, Nice to hear from you again.

I have finally finished my Alabamian, hope you fellows like it. For more of the pics, please refer to my website at http://sg.geocities.com/y_wong62/

Have a nice weekend.

regards :)

Attached Files:

5. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Hey Wong Yau,an EXCELLENT piece of work there,my friend (y) (y) (y) !!! WELL DONE ! BTW,how did the exams go ? Cheers !
    Kenneth.
  6. jaime Member

Spain
    Wong. very nice painting. I like it. I'm painting a bust about the same theme.
    (y)
    Jaime
  7. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Well done Wong! The cartridge box on the ground is a nice touch.
  8. Alex Lopez Well-Known Member

Mexico
    Congratuletions Wong, this is an exelent figure.
    Regards, Alex.
  9. y_wong New Member

Dear Kenneth,thanks and my exams should be ok.

Dear Jaime, Jason and Alex, thanks !

regards :lol:
  10. raj New Member

Hi Mr.Wong,

The Albaminan looks really cool. I specially like the face features n detail.
    Am still having a very hard time sculpting the face, but i'm working on it. :(

I'll post my work once i'm a bit more confident abt the figure

Regards
    Raj :)
  11. Patrick Kirk New Member

Very nice Wong...gotta agree, the cartridge box is a nice touch...very nicely done form sculpt to painting...hope to see more.

All the best

Patrick
  12. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Beautiful work Wong......your painting has really set off your excellent sculpting. Whats next on your bench?
  13. y_wong New Member

Thanks, Raj, Patrick and Guy, glad that you like it. As mentioned in my Berdan thread, I am working on 2 crew members, namely Lt George Dixon and Arnold Becker of CSS Hunley. The setting is somewhat similar to that of the U boat conning tower by Andreas miniature. The only difference is that I will be providing the interior of the sub.

PS BTW Raj, hope to see you sculpting on PF soon.
  14. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Wong,

I really look forward to seeing the Hunley. I had the chance to actually see the real thing in Charleston right before they opened it up to get the crew members out. They allowed a few people to view it and my father got the tickets. It was really nice and they also had a mock up for people to sit in. This thing was really cramped.

Joe
  15. y_wong New Member

Dear Joe,

It must be real good seeing the real thing, which I can only access thru the web. Most of my material for this project is from the Friends of the Hunley site and the one maintained by Micheal Crisafulli. In fact, he is doing a 3D construction, using software, of the the exterior and interior of the Hunley based upon information from the Warren Lasch Conservation center.

Currently I am modifying 2 of verlinden stock heads to resemblance Dixon and Becker based on reconstruction models by forenic reconstruction. Why Dixon and Becker, you may ask. It is because Dixon piloted the Hunley and Becker was seated just behind him. I have to keep it compact as the model is likely to be quite big even for just a small section of the sub. I am working on a 1/16 scale.

Once I form the forward conning section of the hull, I will start a new thread to share with all the planeteers. In the meantime, I rather work behind the scene.

16. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Wong,

It was really nice seeing it and it really made you feel for the guys that were in there. It had to be really cramped. I really look forward to seeing it. I have a book on the Hunley, the name escapes me now but I will get it later for you. It is really good and was a companion for the TV show.

I am not sure if it is still available but I know a few years back Pony Soldiers did a Hunley section. I think it was of the top and a guy sitting or standing it the hole. I think it was in 120 mm.

All the best,

Joe
  17. y_wong New Member

Thanks for the info regarding the model from Pony Soldier, I am not aware of it.

I just managed to get a roller of the right size and should be scratch building the hull soon. From the scale that I am working on, the diameter of the hull is about 64.5mm. As for the height of the figure, it should be about 105mm.

BTW it seems that this thread has changed from the Alabamian to the Hunley. Let this be the unofficial Hunley thread till the hull is settled.

18. rafaelega Active Member

Spain
    Excellent figure and also excellent paint work!

Rafa
  19. y_wong New Member

thanks rafael.

20. Kevin D. Well-Known Member

United-States
    Wong,

Good morning!

The Hunley would a heck of a vignette, great idea!

I've been looking at the Alabamian and the bugler on your website...

Question.... Could you elaborate on how you made the bugle? Sure would appreciate it. Incredible rifles, BTW.

Best,

Kevin D.