1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

AK Interactive True Metal

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by oierlings, Jan 14, 2019.

1. oierlings Active Member

Switzerland
    Nap and Mike - The Kiwi like this.
  2. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    I've got them mate.
    Found them hard work for my application on smaller objects (1/32) because they are wax based.
    However did prove useful on larger 1/6 weapon set.
    I'm on a constant quest for different metal effects, especially brass & have many different types from Vallejo real metals through to Gunze Sangyo. This latter brand is still my favourite, although alcohol based, as you can achieve many effects on helmets, weapons etc by buffing with motor tool plus oil paint stains.
    All have a place, all depends what you want to achieve.
    If it's a full surface finish on larger item as per the advert I'd say give them a go.
    If for individual smaller components maybe consider other options.
    Does that help?
    - MjB

P.S. If you're still interested in "Painting Metals" loads more on our threads here:
    http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/mb/list.asp?webtag=medrenfig&ctx=4194304&cacheTag=x4-11
    IMG_6153.PNG
    oierlings, Huw63 and Nap like this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    oierlings likes this.
  4. TERRYSOMME1916 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Eric I have forked out a small fortune buying different Metallic Paints in search of that perfect finish but I have found nothing that I have had any success with, I have tried them all and have just bought some Mr Hobby metallics that I hope to try this week, I will let you know the outcome.
    Although I have some hard views on some of the Metallics that you have mentioned being that they are not cheap and when ordering on line you tend to go for 4-6 colours, I dont want to trash the products on a forum as they may work for other painters who have taken the time to develop a system that results in a finish that they are happy with.
    TERRY
    oierlings likes this.
  5. Redcap A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    True Metal (PASTE) - being candid, it is utter rubbish and a waste of money as a model product (IMHO). Even the company promo video on YT doesn't give you any proper close in's of the effects and as for some other magazine or online 'reviews', well, given many get this stuff gratis from the company, you can draw your own inferences for the impartiality or accuracy of those. It is actually a coloured wax that smears and goes on unevenly - the 'Aluminium' one was also very 'gritty' compared to the others - whether applied with a finger or even something like a cotton bud. Nothing I have used seals it either (and keeps it looking metallic) and if left 'as is', then every time you touch it with your hands, it comes off on your fingers quite noticeably. I have used their aluminium and steel pastes which were poor and left streaking everywhere and their brass and copper were less than hopeless and just seemed to go a greenish tinge with virtually no covering power whatsoever.

Please note however that the 'True Metal' bottled metal paints by the same company are superb and spray beautifully; so much so that I have now abandoned Alclad in favour of them......they are that good!

If anyone else thinks they are great and have mastered them then kudos to you and I would welcome a demo (close up and no with soft focus) to explain how to use this product 'properly'.

If you were not in Switzerland Eric, then I would gladly have sent you my virtually full tubes with pleasure and free of charge to save you wasting your money!

To reiterate, if you want excellent, easy to do and realistic metal effects, use the AK metal sprays in the bottle and you won't be disappointed!

Gary
    oierlings, Tecumsea and housecarl like this.
  6. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    As Gary has said the True Metal bottled paints are superb, I used them for the first time recently on a figure and was pleased with the ease with which they can be brushed, I intend to buy more. Can also highly recommend the Mr Hobby metallics which you paint with a brush and then buff with a Q Tip or similar.

Keith
    oierlings likes this.
  7. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    I have switched to "Scale 75" metallics and they are water based with a liquid resin and they bond very well to all surfaces I have used them on. They thin very well and cover well over a black base. You can use them as a wash or glaze. The colours separate in a porcelain paint tray so continual mixing will work well. When dry in the porcelain tray they are hard to get off:D to clean the tray. Other paint colours can be added to change the base colour if you want.
    Only downside is I can't sniff the stuff!!!!!!!!!:LOL:
    Cheers
    John
    oierlings likes this.
  8. Huw63 A Fixture

Hi Eric

nice to see a comparitive neighbour joining here!

I think it's a matter of experimentation with products from different manufacturers. Simply searching on PF will give many ideas of different ways of painting metal and Mike above has given a new source of information.

In addition never rule out metallic oil paints and enamels (useful pigment in the bottom of tins).

Have fun trying different methods.

Cheers

Huw
    oierlings likes this.
  9. oierlings Active Member

Switzerland
    Hi all,
    many thanks to you all for the answers.
    I've used Mr. Metalics and Alclad for my AFV and Planes. Using airbrush, the results, especially with the later one are fantastic. But I'm not sure if they are usable with the brush.
    However, I'll have a closer look at you replies and suggestions.

Many Thanks
    Eric
  10. oierlings Active Member

Switzerland
    Hi Huw,

aus welcher Region in der Schweiz?

Gruss
    Eric