1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

AK Interactive are promoting a new generation of acrylics

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by gerryj199, Jan 23, 2020.

1. gerryj199 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Hi,
    Posting in case this is of interest to anyone. The Spanish brand AK Interactive which is well known for its high quality diorama and modeling products is launching its new range of acrylic paints. It's claiming that these are significantly improved over previous generations of paints.

Here's a link to their introduction to the paints if you're interested.
    Best
    Gerry

http://ak-masters.com/ak/AKNEWSJAN2020/PDF/AK ACRYLICS 2019 DOSSIER DIG.pdf
  2. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Look interesting
  3. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    I am going to try some of these paints, hopefully they will thin down for layers.
  4. Venko A Fixture

Bulgaria
    I'm curious how their new acrylic metallics will be, looks like good range of colors for figures :)
  5. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Why on earth didn't they produce the paints with the colour patch already in place on the top?

Yet another new range to suck the money from our pockets.

Keith
  6. kevininpdx Well-Known Member

United-States
    The miniature paint market is getting very crowded.
  7. Venko A Fixture

Bulgaria
    Consider also the availability of the paint brands. Some paint brands are not available locally and if you need some colors or replacement, it's very expensive with shipping. I can buy AK locally and they are restocked regularly, unlike Vallejo for example, which I buy from outside.
    But we'll see how good those are ;)
    Viking Bob likes this.
  8. HansDig A Fixture

Netherlands
    Ah...they have what I've always been looking for.....a complete flesh-tone set. Wow, brilliant idea.....
    I agree with Kevin.....there's too much of it already.
    theBaron likes this.
  9. Venko A Fixture

Bulgaria
    Anyone have tried the new acrylic metallics from AK? I'm searching for good golds and steels, and heard good things about Scale75 Metal alchemy, but AK is available locally.
    Thanks!
  10. Nap Moderator

England

Can't comment on either but Darkstar Miniatùres metallics are very good

Nap
    Venko likes this.
  11. Venko A Fixture

Bulgaria
    I just tried some colors, because I was very curious what sort of animal are those wonder-paints. I bought three metallics-Rusty gold, Natural steel, Silver; one regular color-Blood red and one ink-Burnt Umber. I will say that if you have already a good selection of other brands like Vallejo, Scale75 you don't need those. I expected more grip on unprimed surface, but they easily sctrach off with finger. On primer they are good though, but this is true for the other brands also. Metallics are nice, but I don't have other brands to compare, pigment seems fine. The ink is fluid and flow into recesses, but again I don't have other brands to compare.
    One plus I noticed, the pigment don't separate even if leaving the bottle unshaken, it seems dense. Maybe I will leave them on the bench for a week to see if the pigment will stay the same.
    For beginners or if you need replacement bottle those are good option I think.

Regards!
  12. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    I've tried a couple AK products a while back, to see what the talk was all about. I don't get excited about them. There are comparable products already on the market, and some of AK's products, like their weathering products-like washes, and weathering powders-I already know how to make myself, from items I have on hand.

I do recognize that for modelers entering the hobby, AK products offer consistency that it would otherwise take time and experience to achieve. If that makes the hobby more enjoyable for people, so much the better.

Prost!
    Brad
  13. grasshopper A Fixture

Canada
    The new stuff is improved..metallics definitely. Not as prone to chalking as scalecolor ...airbrush easily ...the new lid thing isn’t anything special..but if available locally, worth trying...it’s a monster range of colours and intended to be suited for every genre of modelling ...so for a mere 550 euro or something you can have it all..can’t see why anyone needs 230 colours tho! Nothing in the handful I tried that I can see causing people to abandon something that may be working for them already. Nothing here to make one a master..and a master will probably stand pat ...they are doing huge marketing effort and have hired some big names: Calvin Tan, Kirill Kaenev....but bit deficient on actual recommendations for usage and product info...for example: what are intense colours vs regular...
    housecarl likes this.
  14. Venko A Fixture

Bulgaria
    The paints separate if left to sit on the bench for several days, so you need to put agitators in the bottle, but I do this with all acrylics ;)
    housecarl and Nap like this.