1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Airfix 54mm French Line Infantry

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Merryweather, Mar 16, 2021.

1. Waterlooman A Fixture

Really nice work, what Blue did you use for his jacket - Dark Prussian Blue?

W.
  2. Merryweather A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I use VJ Game Color Night Blue, it's a bit darker than Prussian. And I give it a filter of black as well actually.
  3. Waterlooman A Fixture

I have been using Vallejo Dark Prussian Blue but I have been tempted to add a few drops of Nato Black to it (its a more Dark flat Grey than Black) to try to darken it a bit.

W.
  4. Merryweather A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I'm afraid of using mixes because I have a bad memory and I struggle with matching at a later date - especially with how long this one will stretch out by the time I 've finished them all.
    Waterlooman likes this.
  5. Merryweather A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Here are a couple of shots of the three of them together-'the story so far....'
    I used my camera this time instead of my phone and the results are much better. The trouble is the phone is so much more convenient for uploading etc, but I think I will use the camera for the painted shots from now on.
    With respect to those who know about these things, please don't anyone give me photography tips as I will lose the will to live:confused:
    Group 1.JPG Group 2.JPG
    Thanks for looking
    Neil
    blaster, Waterlooman, DaddyO and 9 others like this.
  6. Waterlooman A Fixture

Looking really nice.

W.
    Merryweather likes this.
  7. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Amazing work Neil! Coming along nicely. :)(y)

Cheers,
    Ken
    Merryweather and Waterlooman like this.
  8. Peter Day PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Looking very good that man.
    Waterlooman and Merryweather like this.
  9. Warren SMITH A Fixture

Australia
    They look good placed together, this is coming along at record pace... Enjoy what your doing as much as we enjoy your updates.
    Merryweather likes this.
  10. Merryweather A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thank you very much chaps.
    Now on with Fusilier 4.
    This is where we left him
    IMG_20210315_194100790.jpg

He’s now been filled and filed and tweaked and refined and detailed and he’s almost ready, apart from his head and shako.
    IMG_20210513_113807366_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210513_113927159_HDR.jpg

As before, I am leaving off his equipment to be added after painting. I’ve made a bit more effort with the weight of it on the clothes this time, especially with the pack straps at the epaulettes. I’ve also hollowed out his sleeves to keep his hands separate.

Here are all the loose bits

IMG_20210513_114204897.jpg

I did have another moment of madness, this time with the hobnails in his boots. I have struggled to simply paint them on in the past so I decided to add them physically. But I found it difficult to glue them in place in a controlled fashion so I went nuts and drilled 0.3mm holes in his boots. I then inserted short lengths of 0.3mm solder which I trimmed to length afterwards. I sanded the solder right down with 240 grit wet & dry

Here’s a little SBS sequence
    IMG_20210512_153034387.jpg IMG_20210512_155837214.jpg IMG_20210512_163755216.jpg IMG_20210513_113532378.jpg

I did this with Fusilier 3 and what’s really great about this technique is that I don’t even have to paint them- I just rub the paint off and expose the silver, perfectly round!

Fusilier 3ii.jpg

It’s just that it takes me an hour to do each boot…..and I have a nasty feeling these ones are hardly going to be visible in the end!

Anyway that’s all so far- thanks for watching

Neil
    blaster, DaddyO, Jed and 6 others like this.
  11. nig-g Active Member

I love these! It’s remarkable what can be achieved with these old figures.
    I always use pins with appropriate size heads for buttons, hobnails…..just drill a hole, shorted the pin and just drop it with superglue. Works well.
    keep up the brilliant work.
    Nigel
  12. Slowpainter Member

United-States
    Enjoying your progress with this ambitious project. You're really transforming these figures.
    Nap and Merryweather like this.
  13. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Neil

Good update on the figure , looks fine to me , nice job on the equipt as well

Look forward to seeing more on the project

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Merryweather likes this.
  14. Merryweather A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks, Chaps, for the comments and likes, now he-e-e-e-e-re's Fusilier no 4!
    IMG_20210513_202419401.jpg IMG_20210513_202342908.jpg

Looks like I'm going to have to add a couple of buckles which aren't usually seen to the back of the cartridge pouch, and of course he will have his pack, but you get the general idea.
    And you can't really see the hobnails, either! Hey ho.

But WE know they are there, don't we?
    thanks for watching
    Neil
    Troy Smith, DaddyO, Jed and 4 others like this.
  15. Merryweather A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    and here are the buckles
    IMG_20210514_100540230.jpg

time to get on with the painting
    Troy Smith, DaddyO, Jed and 5 others like this.
  16. Waterlooman A Fixture

Sutch Brilliant work - loving it.

W.
    Merryweather likes this.
  17. Peter Day PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    A fantastic figure Neal.
    Merryweather likes this.
  18. Merryweather A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    That's very kind, thank you

Cheers Peter!
    Waterlooman likes this.
  19. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Beautiful work - I love the way you've rendered the piping with lead wire. Inspiring!
    Merryweather likes this.
  20. Warren SMITH A Fixture

Australia
    He looks amazing... Love your skills
    Merryweather likes this.