1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Airfix 54mm French Line Infantry

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Merryweather, Mar 16, 2021.

1. dutch Active Member

Netherlands
    Great work, love it
    Merryweather likes this.
  2. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great vignette. Go easy on the blood with casualties. Other than on white and pale fabrics, blood has the effect of merely darkening fabrics and the ground, rather than forming a red pool.

Mike
    Nap and Merryweather like this.
  3. Merryweather A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks Nigel, I am enjoying it myself!
  4. Merryweather A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Dutch, much appreciated
  5. Merryweather A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Good point, Mike, thanks.
    MCPWilk likes this.
  6. Merryweather A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Ok, do you remember way back when I put together a couple of new Fusiliers-7 & 8?
    Well, they have been progressing ahead of the Officer for some reason and here is Fusilier 7 as WIP
    Fusilier 7 WIP 1.jpg

Fusilier 7 WIP 2.jpg

And here he is with all his kit, separate but ready for painting

Fusilier 7 ready.jpg

And here is Fusilier 8 as a WIP

Fusilier 8 WIP 1.jpg

That’s all for now but there’s more in pipeline.

Thanks for watching
    Neil
    blaster, Nap, Oda and 3 others like this.
  7. Merryweather A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I am pleased to report that the wounded officer is ready for priming and painting, woo hoo!
    I have struggled with this one, and I think it must have been because I didn’t really like the Historex head I was using.
    IMG_20221123_180210209.jpg

Once I swapped it over (for one from the 1970’s vintage Airfix footballers set) it all started to gel together.
    He’s got lots of unusual kit which I had to figure out from conflicting refences, especially the Standard-Bearer’s pouch belt thingy- I was hoping Historex did one in their spares range, but I couldn’t find one so I had to cobble it together myself.
    The N had me foxed for a while, then I thought I would see if I could 3D print something so small, and to my astonishment I got away with it.

For the pedants experts among you he does have epaulettes and chin scales for his shako, I just forgot to add them into the shot. It’s all separate for painting.

IMG_20221220_165536856.jpg

IMG_20221220_165617464.jpg

As you see, I have found a new place for the halberd, which I think brings it into focus a bit more than if it was just lying on the ground.
    I’ve pushed the bounds of 3D printing again here. I’m not confident of painting the lettering freehand, and I knew I could create the lettering digitallyso I experimented to see how thin I could print the pennant, and I got it down to 0.1mm.
    I used a hairdryer to get it to drape. The halberd blade is from Historex.
    So there’s only Fusilier no 8 to finish, and then I think I’ll start painting.

Thanks for looking
    Neil
    blaster, MattMcK., Nap and 4 others like this.
  8. Waterlooman A Fixture

Its going to look amazing when its all together.

OC.
    Merryweather likes this.
  9. NigelR A Fixture

Come on, keep going, we want to see this all together!!! Looking really good.....
    Merryweather and Waterlooman like this.
  10. Oda A Fixture

An astonishing amount of exceptional modelling work.Like all the rest,I am eagerly waiting to see this progressing and finished.

Oda.
    Waterlooman and Merryweather like this.
  11. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Neil

Great to see you've been busy on the figures , wonderful use of the stash and what's lying around , nice putty work

Good move ref the actual flag pole , officer looks really good , lots of variety in him ...if I may I think the halberd would be better around the actual figure with the flag .....just think it would fit in better

Like the casualties idea and musket angles in the firing line

Always good to see what's happening on the bench

Have fun

Look forward to seeing more updates

Happy Christmas

Nap
    Waterlooman, Oda and Merryweather like this.
  12. Warren SMITH A Fixture

Australia
    Well impressed old mate, your doing a terrific job...
    Waterlooman, Oda, Nap and 1 other person like this.
  13. Merryweather A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I've primed the latest 3 figures
    Fusilier 7 primed.jpg
    Fusilier 7

Porte Aigle primed.jpg
    Porte Aigle
    Officer primed.jpg
    Officer

And I've painted fusilier 7's head

Fusilier 7 head.jpg

I was intending to paint each figure one at a time, but I think I will do all the faces first in the hope that I can get into a bit of a groove.
    Thanks for looking in
    Neil
  14. Warren SMITH A Fixture

Australia
    Great work..
    Merryweather likes this.
  15. Merryweather A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Fusilier 8 is ready for paint, but he'll have to wait until I've freed up some Crocodile clips
    Fusilier 8 Ready (2).jpg

Fusilier 8 Ready (1).jpg I changed the head. I wanted a really young looking one so this one is from a Historex lady. It's hard to see in white but hopefully it will look good in paint.
    Fusilier 8 Ready (2a).jpg

I had to do the bloody hobnails again, and I've 3D printed my own shoulder straps - fingers crossed they look ok with paint on.
    I'm going to explore 3D printing some boots with hobnails for the upcoming casualties- got to find some easier solution or I'll lose the will to live!
    cheers for now
    Neil
    Martin64, blaster, Nap and 2 others like this.
  16. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Neil

Nice work on the youngster , 3D bits as well as a hobnail or 2 ! .......looking good

Look forward to seeing the paint on him ...perhaps after a slight fringe haircut ...lol

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Merryweather likes this.
  17. Merryweather A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks Kev.

Fusilier 7 is painted, ready for assembly tomorrow when it's properly dry.
    Fusilier 7 painted.jpg
    Martin64 and Waterlooman like this.
  18. Waterlooman A Fixture

Superb painting.

W.
    Merryweather likes this.
  19. Warren SMITH A Fixture

Australia
    Keep at it.. you seem to be on a roll..
    Merryweather and Waterlooman like this.
  20. All the detailwork going into this is great. Good to be along for the ride!
    Nap, Merryweather and Waterlooman like this.