1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Oils Airbrushing Mig pigments.

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by housecarl, Sep 7, 2011.

1. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Strange question. Can you airbrush Mig pigments? I was thinking of mixing them with white spirit, then misting them on. I was thinking that it would be governed by the nozzle diameter.
    Carl.
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I never tried, but i think it is impossible. The nozzle of the AB would get closed trough the fine particles of the pigments.
    But i could be wrong.

marc
  3. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Marc. :eek:I'll try it, nothing ventured and all that.
    Carl.
  4. Alex M. Active Member

Canada
    I've see this same question asked on armour forums, and all signs point to a very bad, messy situation...I wish I could find the posts!

Alex
  5. Einion Well-Known Member

Carl, this was asked about on CMON a short while ago (thread here).

Since this is supposed to be done by some people technically it is feasible apparently, but no idea of what kind of AB or spraygun is being used - in theory it might work only through a nozzle much wider than on any regular airbrush.

Anyway, are you looking for a method to get the pigment on in a fine, even layer, over larger areas? If so, dusting on with a big soft brush not sufficient?

Einion
  6. davsam28 New Member

United-States
    Guys I have ab pigments on models before and it works fine
    Low pressure and build thin layers is key build it up as each layer dries

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

7. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Carl, I did this a while back but used a 'plant mister' that you use for watering plants by spraying the leaves. They can be got almost anywhere for a couple of quid mate.

Cheers

Ron
  8. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Thanks again for the input. Einion That's the way I normally do it. I don't trust Testors to fix them in place, as I've had problems with them drying shiny.
    Thanks again,
    Carl.
  9. Einion Well-Known Member

Welcome Carl. If you want to fix pigment dusts in place with an overspray, thinned acrylic medium would work fine.

You should be able to thin heavily (like more than 10:1 water to medium) and still get the desired result - I've used this in the past to make water-soluble paint insoluble so that it could be painted over so the same thing should work for pigment dusts.

Plus it's very cheap and easy to do, very fast-drying (can recoat in just a minute or two) and way safer to spray indoors than anything solvent-borne.

Can I check some details:
    any problems with getting the dry powder to disperse properly;
    was this in water only;
    which airbrush and nozzle?

Einion
  10. davsam28 New Member

United-States
    The pigment was sprayed out of a .05 nozzle and when the dust is mixed with water it tints like a wash being sprayed on/ the airbrush is a grex tritium ,hth Dave

11. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Thanks again everyone. Went for the soft brush option in the end.
    Carl.
  12. Einion Well-Known Member

Thanks (y)

Einion
  13. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Einion, I'll post the fruits of my labour later.
    Carl.