1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Airbrush painting in cold weather

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade/Accessories' started by Mozzy, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Mozzy Member

Got the H&S Evo out the after and tried a Vallejo Air which just slipped off the red primed base :( 8c in the garage. Proper garage, all damp proofed.

Was spraying at around 20psi but I know if I left it out there it would still be wet.

I'm new ish to airbrushing, but am not completely new.

Should I assume weather is too cold? Compressor is Sparmax tank with moisture trap.

Thank you

Mozzy
  2. JasonB A Fixture

United-States
    Yes, if I understand it right, thats about 47 degrees F, which IMHO is way too cold. I really wouldn't spray in any much under 68F (20C). The paint doesn't atomize correctly when cold, which could lead to very dense coats of paint, and won't dry well even if you get it to spray. That why when you spray with a rattle can and want a really fine finish, you can put the can in warm water to get the paint heated up.
    Mozzy and napoleonpeart like this.
  3. Nap A Fixture

England
    Blimey Mozzy

Airbrushing ...I am not even allowed a spray deodorant in the house ...in SWMBO's words ..I would be lethal with an airbrush ...overspray Heavan!...lol

Plenty of great guys for advice on the airbrushing ..the one above is rather good at it!

Nap...happy with a series 7 !!!
    Mozzy likes this.
  4. Mozzy Member

Thank you. That confirms why. When I use Rattle-cans I do indeed have them pre warmed. I guess my AB's are going to have to be put away until the warm weather comes back. UNLESS, I can twist the ball & chain's ankle to let me install heating. Maybe a convector on a trip might work?

Thank you again.
  5. Alex A Fixture

Canada
    I spray at 23oC inside and all fumes are vented outside. Still use a mask with the door of my studio shut when I'm spraying
    You can buy or make a basic booth for a lot less than you think and nobody in the house will smell anything !
    Mozzy likes this.