1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Airbrush nightmare

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by Stephen Duncan, Jul 21, 2015.

1. I've disassembled my airbrush to clean it for the first time and everything seemed to be going OK till I reassembled it. It works - ie, air blows out of it, but no paint comes out.

I've pulled it apart and rebuilt it several times now - and now the air is also coming out of the paint pot and blowing bubbles!

Can anyone advise on what is going wrong?
  2. Graham A Fixture

England
    This is usually caused by blocking of the tip or by a missing/not located correctly seal. What make of airbrush is it?
    Stephen Duncan likes this.
  3. Trex Well-Known Member

I assume it's an internal mix dual action airbrush.
    Something blocks your airbrush nozzle.
    Check if the nozzle is clean.
    Make sure you tighten the needle properly after you reinsert it in the nozzle.
    If not tightened, it will block the nozzle even when you pull the trigger back.
  4. I think the thread from the nozzle has broken off, if so I guess that's game over for this particular brush.
  5. Graham A Fixture

England
    It is a weakness with the screw in nozzles I'm afraid. If that is the case then it is probably no way back, sorry.
  6. That's what I was afraid of. Oh well, I guess it's all experience - albeit expensive! Thanks for the advise anyway
  7. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    why not just buy a new nozzle?.....if the 'thread' section is broken off in the body....pm me and I will tell you how to get it out ;)
  8. Yeah it broke off inside, but I've already ordered a new brush. It'd still be great to know how to get it out if you don't mind sharing? Would be very helpful for future reference! You can PM or just reply here?
  9. lolok Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Can you get a screw extractor that small ??
    When I worked in the Hospital I had a similar dilemma with a dental thingamajig.. I superglued a drill bit into the end (carefully) gave it a day to dry and lo and behold it worked,broken end came out..Surprised even me...Just a tiny amount of superglue..
  10. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Same thing happened to me a while back. I just jammed a cocktail stick in there and unscrewed it. Ordered a new nozzle (and a needle, just to be on the safe side) and fitted them. Job jobbed :)
  11. Trex Well-Known Member

If you manage to unscrew the broken nozzle thread, then you can get a new replacement nozzle.
    Take a look here and here.
  12. I thought about using a very fine drill piece to try and work it out - though I think I might take up Billy's idea with the cocktail stick first to see if that is successful.
  13. Bit of a delayed update here, but I tried the cocktail stick idea - and it worked perfectly. Then my new brush arrived so I'm just using that one now (though it's not as good!).

What I would strongly recommend to other people who're new to airbrushing, is, before you get started painting anything, take the utility apart (in a VERY controlled environment (parts WILL get lost otherwise)) and reassemble it several times. In fact, I'd do this until you have a very good understanding of how the device works. Because this is where I went wrong; I watched a few video tutorials of how to clean the brush thinking that this would be enough to guide me - it wasn't.
    Eludia and Graham like this.
  14. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Even more important....get some 'Iwata Superlube'......never dry fit/assemble an AB...this is why parts break...metal to metal contacting surfaces will 'bind' if left unlubricated....
  15. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Glad the ole' cocktail stick trick worked for you ;)

Sometimes things don't need to be complicated. And follow Ron's advice; things always go a lot smoother when lube's involved ;)
  16. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom