1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Acrylics Airbrush / Gunze Primer Question

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by Showlen, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Showlen Active Member

United-States
    Hello,

I'm getting ready to airbrush some Mr. Surfacer 1000 on a new bust. Would anyone have any comments on thinning this primer before airbrushing? I wasn't sure if this could just be used straight from the bottle. If it does require thinning, what agent would be best to use?

As always, thank you for the help and feedback!

Take care,

Ronnie W.
  2. skeeterbuck Active Member

United-States
    Everytime I have used Gunze primers (1000 or 1200) I have always thinned them. Being lacquer based, I would think that they would dry way too quick and either clog the airbrush or leave a grainy finish without thinning. You can also use Gunze's retarder to help slow down the drying process for even a smoother finish. Hope this helps and good luck.

Chuck
  3. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Denatured Alcohol works great for Gunze paints (that's the old Airplane modeler in me talking ;) )
  4. Einion Well-Known Member

Nearly anything benefits from being thinned slightly before airbrushing; rule of thumb being paint can't be too thin to shoot (but don't thin more than you need to). Which goes along with two thin coats is better than one thick coat... especially true of primers, even more so with Mr. Surfacer.

Do remember, Mr. Surfacer isn't just a primer, it's actually a filler too so it's really not ideal for pure priming jobs since it'll tend to fill in fine detail, particularly the 1000 (1200 is finer).

You might want to do a quick search online for more on this but here's one thread from Hobby Fanatics:
    http://www.hobbyfanatics.com/index.php?/topic/8626-how-to-use-mr-surfacer/

Oh and cellulose thinner/lacquer thinner to dilute. I would strongly recommend you take appropriate ventilation precautions - you do not want to be inhaling this stuff in any quantity!

Einion
  5. Showlen Active Member

United-States
    Thank you everyone for the feedback and suggestions! I do greatly appreciate it!

Ronnie