1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Airbrush/Compressor Advice

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by TERRYSOMME1916, Dec 7, 2020.

1. TERRYSOMME1916 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I am sure that this subject has been covered before but I will ask it again anyway and we might get some updated information on the subject.
    I don't normally use an airbrush but having watched several tutorials on youtube etc it would seem that some of the figure/bust painters use them to prime and undershade before applying their Oils or Acrylics so I have been researching what equipment is out there and it can only be described as a nightmare, just so much available to suit all types of budgets and of course all different uses, perhaps someone can advise on what Airbrush,Needle size, Compressor that works for them and what they use it for.
    This is a vast subject however hopefully any info will be helpful to modelers/figure painters that can help them decide not to bother with Airbrushes or not.
    I have been looking at Harder and Steenbeck Evolution Ultra CR 2 in 1 a pricey piece of kit but there may be less expensive quality Airbrushes that would do the same job.
    TERRY
  2. Graham A Fixture

England
    Bit of a minefield but.....

A well made cheap Chinese airbrush works fine, a bad one will put you off airbrushing for life. Cheap airbrushes are a bit of a lottery.

A decent branded such as the H&S, Iwata etc are usually well made and easy to strip and clean without tools. I use an Evalution and it works well but more importantly, spares like needle, ‘O’ rings and nozzle sets are readily available. I have a .2 and a .4 set but the .4 needle tip has bent so I need to replace it. However, on busts and figures, I would only use the .2

Compressors are pretty much of a mixed bag. I used to have a compressor with reservoir tank but I had issues with condensation in the tank and eventually the release valve failed. I now have a fairly cheap unbranded compressor without a tank, it just has a very long hose to the airbrush which acts as enough of a reservoir to prevent ‘pulsing’ of the air supply. The main thing you want on a compressor is the ability to set the output pressure.

There is no real cheap way to get started and find out if you like it or not. If you drop lucky with a cheap airbrush it may be all you need with practice but as I said before, a bad one will be a nightmare. However, even a not so great one will still be good for priming and possibly blocking in which is about all I use mine for now.

Main thing to remember though , no matter how good or expensive it is, it does not make you an airbrush artist, that only comes with practice and developed skill. Also, be prepared for lots of airbrush cleaning. When I prime a bust it is 5 minutes preparing the paint. 2 minutes spraying and 20 minutes cleaning the airbrush. Sometimes it is just easier to use a rattle can unless you really want to get deep into full figure painting with just the airbrush.
  3. eddie_C96 Member

Hello,
    Personally I use the H&S Infinity duo - I used to have the 0.15 nozzle but it proved to fragile for me, so I ended up with 0.2 and 0.4.
    If I have to work with Vallejo paints ort primers, I use a cheap Iwata neo with 0.35 nozzle which could be bought on sale for 50-60 USD here in the US when on sale and which I think provides a better price/performance ratio than Chinese copies (JAS etc.).
    The replacement nozzle goes for around 15USD and the needle for 6. I much better prefer the H&S bigger nozzle cone, but given the irregularity of Vallejo paint particles, either could be damaged pretty easilly...
  4. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    If I may offer this little insight...as an airbrush user for 35+ years...if there's one thing I have learned it's...there really is no 'cheap' option...yes...people do get lucky with a Chinese bargain...however...over a short time the problems start...and frustration creeps in...along with added costs for new needles/nozzles etc. ...in a vain hope that it will be back to working again...rarely the case in my experience.
    For the last 7 years I have been using the H&S Infinity+ 2 in 1...never changed the needle/nozzle as never had to...same goes for the seals...all still working as they did from day one...which says it all in my book.
    The second most important thing to consider is...the compressor...again...there are a huge range to choose from...as with the AB...there are no 'cheap' solutions...you will simply get what you pay for...the more you save...the more you lose!
    I have had mine for 10 years with no problems what so ever...and compared to others with the same features...I consider it reasonable money well spent IMHO

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BA1100-B...030073?hash=item3b484c4b79:g:c94AAOSwqDVe2jZ7

One thing that always confuses me is the constant mention that you will spend far more time cleaning the AB than spraying...this simply should not be the case if you follow some basic rules from the start.
    First and most important rule...decide what you want to do with the airbrush...this will...to a degree...set your cost level and initial outlay.
    Secondly...be prepared to put in the time and effort to get to know the equipment.
    Next...don't forget to factor in some valuable and much needed extras...AB cleaner and 'Lube' (the most important of all).
    Another decision to make from the start...your chosen mediums (paint/ink...acrylics/enamels/lacquers etc.)...as these will also play a big part in your choice of the correct equipment to meet all your needs...and remember...different mediums require different cleaners/thinners...although a lot of people try to save time and money by using lacquer thinners to clean up with...the downside of this is the constant use of it will wear the needle/nozzle/seals out more quickly...due to it's abrasive nature.
    One word of warning...don't believe everything you see on Youtube...it may all look very easy and straightforward but...what you never see is all the problems they edit out.
    Perhaps the biggest cause of problems...and the constant need to stop and clean the AB is incorrect thinning of the paint...and wrong pressure (PSi) for the medium being used.
    Another cause of clogging/spitting is the mixing of paint in the cup itself and...again...you will see many 'experts' do this with no apparent ill effects...trust me...it won't save you time and effort...but it will give you problems.

Lastly...I am no 'expert'...merely a proficient AB user...my words are my personal opinion...and my experience is garnered from many years of using a great tool in different arena's of modelling.
    Feel free to disagree with anything I have said.

Ron
    Tecumsea and Airkid like this.
  5. TERRYSOMME1916 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Excellent helpful advice from everyone and I can relate to most of it having used Airbrushes in the past and owning old Badger and a devilbiss brushes both with the suction fed bottles, I also have a wee small cream coloured Devilbiss compressor that cant be adjusted, and would roast the fingers off you, deafen you as well as vibrate its way across the room so I think that I would notice a big difference in upgrading to Gravity cup fed and an adjustable compressor, I am under no illusion that using an airbrush is a skill in itself and cleaning and maintenance is part of the package and that's the part that worries me in that I would not have the discipline to do this religiously enough and destroy an expensive airbrush, however that's an issue that I need to deal with before I splash the cash.
    Thanks to all so far as I said the info is very helpful so keep it coming as other PF members will also find it useful.
    TERRY