1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

"Air pipe" Helmet

Discussion in '"Today in History", Literature & Media Review' started by Randy Myers, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Randy Myers Member

United-States
    I'm trying to find referances for an early style of British sun helmet, sometimes called the "air pipe" helmet because of the peculiar crest-like vent on top. These were worn in the Indian Mutiny and Abyssinian Campaigns. Uniform plates are of minimal value. If you can point me in the direction of any photographs, or especially diagrams, I would be profoundly grateful. :)
  2. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Sorry Randy...no photo's here...just this snippet of a plate by Michael Perry from Osprey's MAA 275 Taiping Rebellion...

All the best.....Roy.

Attached Files:

3. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Plates are about all I have also. I had no luck with Google.~Gary
  4. mike23 New Member

London England's Metropolitan Police- the Peelers- adopted a similar style of helmet in 1860 to replace their top hats. It's called a "comb" helmet. Versions are also worn by firefighters.
  5. Randy Myers Member

United-States
    Thanks guys, I knew this would be a tough nut to crack. this type of helmet was pretty short lived.

Mike: I've seen examples of the "coxcomb" police helmet on e-bay, and I wondered if it was the same design.

The search continues...