1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

AIP MODEL 1/16 Bust WSS Tank Commander “Totenkopf”, Kharkov 1943 w / Turret section

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Zastrow.cuirassier, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Zastrow.cuirassier PlanetFigure Supporter

France
    In parallel with my FB page, I will post, hoping to have the time, not a review but more a series of photos allowing you to form an opinion on a figurine or a bust.
    For information, I am not a professional, even less for the photo, I just share!
    I would not allow any comment as to accuracy, that is not the point either!
    I would just take the liberty of noting some criteria.
    I will try to post once or twice a week!
    The first figurine chosen, is recent, and is the first of a series which has two.
    The producer is French and he's a real enthusiast, with a very interesting sales website, the figurine, or rather the bust:
    AIP Model AIP16001 WSS Tank Commander “Totenkopf”, Kharkov 1943 w / Turret section
    Scale: 1/16
    Materials: resin, copper wires and especially photo-cut board.
    Sculptor: GREG GIRAULT (no longer presented)
    Box art painting: Jaroslav Matejcek

Rating criteria:

Packaging: 9/10, nothing to complain about, simple, efficient, the parts are extremely well protected, even if on the complete figurine, I have a small broken part, there are the vagaries of the resin!

Choice of subject: 7/10 (a well-known subject, some will say seen and reviewed, but the addition of a part of the turret is a real plus)

Sculpture: 9/10 (It's hard to find fault with Greg Girault's qualities as a sculptor) and it's not 3D!

Molding: Ouch, 5/10, the heads present bubbles (easily repairable), the other parts on the other hand are beautifully made, without reaching the quality of YOUNG MINIATURES. But I think I got the start of the series, and let's not forget that this is the first figurine of this brand!

Quality / price ratio: 8/10, the price is 70 € (VAT included, excluding postage) or around 63 £ or 85 US $ to compare with other brands (don't forget there is a big chunk turret provided), plus a photo cut sheet for the tanker and the turret is provided, which is no small feat!

To conclude, a purchase that I do not regret, I also have the whole figure, ideal (again my opinion) to go with the Classy Hobby Panzerkampfwagen II Ausf L “Luchs”. For information I added a photo of the whole figurine for you to have a preview of it

For any information and purchase:

https://aipmodel.com/product-category/figurines/?filter_brands=aip-model

IMG_9078.JPG IMG_9080.JPG IMG_9082.JPG IMG_9084.JPG

The tanker "bust" :
    IMG_9089.JPG IMG_9091.JPG IMG_9093.JPG IMG_9095.JPG IMG_9097.JPG IMG_9099.JPG IMG_9101.JPG IMG_9103.JPG IMG_9105.JPG IMG_9107.JPG IMG_9109.JPG IMG_9115.JPG IMG_9121.JPG IMG_9123.JPG

To be continued !

Attached Files:

aknific, Nap, Scott Sheltz and 2 others like this.
  2. Zastrow.cuirassier PlanetFigure Supporter

France
    The rest of this post with the turret:
    [IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG]

Little parts in resin :
    [IMG]

Photo etched parts (turret & tanker) :
    [IMG][IMG]

The 1/16 figure :
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Hoping that you liked this post, don't hesitate to criticize my work or my comments, it will help me for future posts!
    Moreover, see you soon for a new figurine ... or bust!

[IMG]

Attached Files:

3. Scott Sheltz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks for the review and pictures!
    Zastrow.cuirassier likes this.
  4. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi ZC

Great to see you posting and a review/ look at releases as well

Good information on all your areas you looked at , bit of a awkward casting line on the side of face

What's the resin like to work with ?

Pics are good as well

Look forward to more

Haply reviewing

Nap
    Zastrow.cuirassier likes this.
  5. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    That casting line on the face is going to take some cleaning up and the hands moulded onto the pour stub look like they could be fun to separate.
    Zastrow.cuirassier and Nap like this.
  6. CondeJulian Well-Known Member

Brazil
    Casting for this one looks like early 90's figures. Might be a nostalgic thing....The boots are completely wrong in size and way too thin. Unusable for the full figure.