1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

AIF Stretcher Bearer, Passchendale

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Aug 11, 2009.

1. dannyk01 New Member

Australia
    Hey Tony,

I wasn't able to go to SMCWA because of work but hopefully will be able to see it soon in the flesh, you figures do look alot better in person :)

Cheers,
    Daniel
  2. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Daniel, that's very nice of you to say.:D Hopefully I'll see you next weekend.

After a monster painting session today, I'm off to bed for a well earned break.

Here are the latest pics. I've been shading and working on the face today.:cool:

Attached Files:

3. sirhogr Member

Greece
    Great work so far Tony!
  4. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks for your comments George,

I'll leave the figure for a few days now and then attack it with oil washes to enhance the shadows and do some more blending.
  5. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    Great progress ,Tony.
    I'm looking forward to completion.

Mitsutaka
  6. sirhogr Member

Greece
    banzai!
  7. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Wow turn my back for a second and you nearly finished the figure mate, very nice work Tony.

Steve
  8. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Looking good Tony, I'll be doing something a long these line soon. I will no doubt use him for inspiration.
    Very nice,
    Carl.
  9. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Mitsutaka,thank you my friend. I'll be doing more work on this figure tonight.

Hi George, I think the Aussie equivalent would be "Into 'em lads".

Hey Steve, blink and you could miss it mate. I'm going to take my time with this figure and concentrate on the final stages of shading, highlighting and weathering.

Hi Carl, glad to provide you with inspiration to do a similar figure mate. I know you'll do a fantastic job and put your heart and soul into it.
  10. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Excellent progress Tony!

cheers,
    Marcel.
  11. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Marcel, I greatly appreciate your comment.

Here are the latest progress pics. I dusted the figure with talcum powder and then ran a series of heavy oil washes (prussian blue and van dyke brown diluted with white spirits) over the uniform to accentuate the shadows and help blend the transitions between the shading and highlighting underneath.

I still have more work to do on the stretcher but I'm getting close to breaking open my box of pastels and starting the weathering process.:D:D:D The puttees and boots will be totally covered in mud by the time I'm finished and the gas cape on his back will be filthy.

Hope you like it.

Attached Files:

12. sirhogr Member

Greece
    Great work Andy! Keep on...
  13. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    I've been called a lot of things over the years, but never Andy!:p

Thanks for your comment Bob:D
  14. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Extremely well done so far Tony.
    Looking to the finished piece.

Marc
  15. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Marc, here's a few more progress pics for you to enjoy.

The first two shots show the base, which is a simple pine box I bought at my local hardware store for $5. I cut it on an angle to represent the side of a communication trench. The trench wall has been covered with celluclay mixed with tallus, white glue and some burnt umber acrylic paint and a bit of water to create a sloppy goo that I can spread around.

I intend to fill the bottom of the base with celluclay and build it up to level of the cut at the front. The figure will stand in the mud up to his knees.

As you can see, I've started to dirty up the figure using pastels and some of the leftover celluclay mix. I want to figure to look like he lives, sleeps and works in this mud all day long. When the mud dries completely, I'll add a series of oil washes over the muddy patches to blend the colours together and create streaks and splashes. The stretcher has had no weathering done on it yet.

Attached Files:

16. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    He could be at Vimy Ridge with all that white chalk on his cloth's and equipment.
    Picking all up the wounded soldiers after the final battle in april 1917,

Marc
  17. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Nearly done now, Andy er! Tony. Coming on grand.
    Carl.
  18. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Marvelous Tony! It's really becoming atmospheric and moody! Excellent scene setting!

All the best,
    Dan
  19. Ventress Well-Known Member

England
    Looking very good. Cant wait to see the finish article.