1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Against All Odds - Rorkes Drift 1879

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by smudger1960, Dec 10, 2009.

1. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Private B-Company / 2nd battalliion / 24th Rgt Foot - Rorkes Drift 1879.

Please find photographs attached of my latest project i have just completed,this is a bust of a private 24Rgt of Foot from the zulu wars sculpted by Carl Reid.

The figure was completed using acrylics for all priming and undercoating and finished with oils wet on wet and wet on dry,as i find red a difficult colour to paint i completed the tunic over 3 nights,once the oils wer'e dry i added some weathering with windsor and newton soft artist pastels,because of the pose of the figure i wanted to depict him having just completed over 9 hours of firing his .45 Martini Henry rifle along with some smoke and dust marks which would have been evident on his uniform and to finish a small head wound completed with games workshop Inks and due to the heat evidence of sweat which was completed using very small amounts of Liquin.

This is the 2nd piece i have now completed from the zulu wars and i thourghly enjoyed painting it,the bust i purchased from the El Greco stand at this years Euro Militaire,i'm sure this piece will be very popular with figure painters in the future.

I look forward to any coments you would like to make.

Happy Painting:cool:

Attached Files:

jjgurk, Ray and tonydawe like this.
  2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    You've done this justice Brian.
    Carl.
  3. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Excellent painting Brian. You've created a very dramatic effect and it looks marvellous.
  4. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    sweet!

i sooooooo wish i had picked this up at Euro!

thanks for sharing

Mark
  5. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Amazing painting Brian,all the effects work very well and breath life into this bust.

Cheers David
  6. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I love the sculpting of this bust and your painting has really emphasised the mood of the subject and put realism into it, really nice work on a superb bust.

Steve
  7. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    This is beautifully sculpted by Carl Reid. And you've certainly done a lovely
    job of painting it. I can just feel the dynamic tension in this piece, and sense
    the sweat, the grime, the exhaustion . . . very well done. There can
    definitely be drama in Art. . . and it is definitely on display with what you
    have done, here. Congratulations.

Oh yes, beautiful photographs too.

rick
  8. Mark Mindeman Member

United-States
    In a word, "FANTASTIC!". Just as Carl pointed out, you have done justice to the figure. It is such a pleasure to see this kit painted in such dramatic fashion. Great Work!
    MarkMindeman
    Thunderbird Historical Miniatures
  9. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Hello,

you made a fine job on this bust.
    Congratulations(y)
  10. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Brian, excellent painting of this great bust. You've definately captured the look of sheer exhaustion after 9hrs fighting, also great detail work especially the head wound and dirt under his finger nails. (y)

Cheers Ken
  11. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Stunning work.

marc
  12. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Against All Odds

Guys

Apollogies for the late replies but i have been away indulging in my other passion Fishing.

I would like to thank all my fellow figure modelers for all your kind comments:

Carl
    Tony - The figure is proving very popular with painters,even my local retailers are out of stock,i would suggest getting the piece quickly as soon as it becomes availble again.

Dave / Steve / Rick / Mark / Ken
    Thanks for all your comments,i had to watch quite a few stills from the ZULU dvd to get the feel for what i wanted to produce in the figure,again many thanks.

Pedro / Marc
    Many thanks for your comments

Overall i thourgly enjoyed painting this piece,i feel now after 2 zulu war pieces i will have a change of theatre,my next piece will be from young miniatures - DAK officer bust 1941.

Once again many thanks and a happy xmas and new year to you all.
  13. george carr New Member

England
    great job i have an affinity to the zulu wars so i tend to take more notice are there any dvds out there showing how to paint figures once again great paint job
  14. michelangelo Member

Greece
    Perfect matching of the figures pose with your painting...