1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP " After the Battle" - ECW Musketeer from Sarnia Miniatures

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Nap, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Nap Forum Moderator

England
    Hi Guys

Been working on this release that I picked up from Peter ( PLG here on PF ) at the 2018 Euro Miniature Expo

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

Using various reference amongst them these :

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

There's nothing wrong with the piece as released but I wanted to do something with it so I :

1. Replaced the hat ( was quite thin in original ) built up crown and added what will be a piece of paper which was used a field sign

2. Reworked the collar

3. Resculpted the hair

4. Replaced the belts,buttons etc

5. Made new "apostles"

6. Detailed up the weapon ..adding a new barrel , ramrod and reworked the mechanism , also added some at home wrapped rounds the musket

Thinking about making a weapon rest as well

A trigger has now been added

Pics all done quickly with iPad !

Not decided what colour to do the coat yet though so welcome ideas !

Will up date as I can alongside others running round my bench

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Nap
  2. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Nice reworking on the bust, great improvement.
    Nap likes this.
  3. malc PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Nice work Nap, another area of history that would be nice to see covered more often.... say in 120 or 200mm .
    Nap likes this.
  4. Nap Forum Moderator

England
    Hi Guys

Thanks for looking in

Bob...a lot of muttering at times ..by no means perfect but I enjoyed working with putty and I am happy with the result ...will look better primed up at least !

Malc .....you are right , I only know of a couple of ECW busts to mind ..can't comment on the 120/200 leggy scales ..perhaps RDG or Mitches might do something

Just need to sort a base out and dry fit the weapon

Thanks for looking in

Stay tuned

Nap
  5. Borek A Fixture

Czech-Republic
    Next great thread, with lot of information, backgrounds and process photo. I like your rework, especially new "apostles" and their cords looks amazing, and adjustments on the muskel looks great too. Amazing work so far, I'm looking forward to the next. For me as a non-painter who wants to start painting, but he does not have the time, it's great to watch the work of others and dream that I will also go for it :). And your threads are grateful for that. Comprehensively informative and pictorial. Thanks.

Cheers Borek
    Nap likes this.
  6. malc PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Borek go for it.....
    Borek and Nap like this.
  7. Nap Forum Moderator

England
    Hi Guys

Couple of quick pics ( iffy as usual ! ) ...weapon in place ( pinned - removable for painting )

Slight bit of filling which I will do later together with basing up and covering ready for priming

Still to decide on the Regiment !

Thanks for looking in

Nap

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Nicolaos, malc, Borek and 1 other person like this.
  8. Nap Forum Moderator

England
    Coat colours info:

English Civil War coat colours
    Royalist

Red — King’s Life Guard, Queen's Life Guard, Sir Allen Apsley, Sir William Saville and Rupert’s Train Guard (Firelocks).

Blue — Prinde Charles’ Regt (Col Wood-house); Prince Rupert’s Regt (Col Sir

Thomas Lunsford), Lord Hopton, Charles Gerard and Sir William Pennyman.

Green — Earl of Northampton, Robert Broughton and Henry Tillier (last two from Ireland).

Yellow — Sir John Paulet, Colonel Talbot, Sir Charles Vavasour and Sir Francis Gamul.

Black — Sir Thomas Blackwall.

Grey — Sir Henry Bard, Colonel Pallard and Thomas Pinchbeck.

White — Earl of Newcastle, Lord Percy’s Regt (Firelock Train Guard), Colonel Hawkins, Sir Ralph Dutton and John Lamplugh.

Parliamentarian

Red — New Model Army Infantry Regiments (Different facings—for Fairfax’s Regt blue), most Eastern Association Regiments (Essex Regts — lined blue). Lord Montagu (white facings). Lord Robartes, Denzil Holies, Sir Michael Liversey (Horse: blue facings), Ralph Weldon and New Model Dragoon Regt (probably).

Blue — Sir Henry Cholmley, Sir William Constable, Sir Arthur Haselrig, Colonel Mandeville, Lord Saye and Sele, Earl of Stamford’s Regt (Col Massey), Lord Hastings (Horse) and Waller’s Train Guard (Firelocks).

Grey — Thomas Ballard, Earl of Denbigh (Horse), Lord Fielding (Horse), Sir John Gell, Sir John Merrick and Simon Rugeley.

Green — John Hampden, Colonel Byng, Samuel Jones and Earl of Manchester (red linings).

Tawny — New Model Train Guard Regt (Firelock).

Orange — Earl of Essex.

Purple — Lord Brook.

(Note: both ‘grey’ and ‘white’ may simply indicate undyed woollen cloth, and be of similar hue.)

Now ...WHICH to choose ....decisions decisions !!!!

Nap
  9. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Interesting period and bust Nap......Like the additional rework and detail....Probably just me but face on the raw casting looks a bit like Elvis Presley.

Wayne
    Nap likes this.
  10. Nap Forum Moderator

England

Cheers Wayne ...you know the face does look a bit like Elvis ....que the music ...a huh ..I'm all shook up !!!

Thanks for looking in

Nap
    Borek likes this.
  11. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Just to throw this into the mix, Nap - Baggot's rgt (raised S Staffs, Blithfield Hall), purple coats, Royalist.......(y)
    Nap likes this.
  12. Nap Forum Moderator

England

Cheers Steve ....didn't you do a Miniart conversion of a Pikeman in those colours ?

Nap
    valiant likes this.
  13. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Yes, I did - a while back now. Ive tried doing a search on here, but to no avail!!(y)
    Nap likes this.
  14. patmaquette Member

England
    That's looking good, Nap.
    I can see some darker dots on the body casting. What are those? Are they air bubbles just below the surface?
    Pat
    Nap likes this.
  15. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The grey filler which colours the resin comes as a powder - if it's not fully mixed into the resin, it appears as tiny speckles, like this. (y)
    patmaquette and Nap like this.
  16. Nap Forum Moderator

England

Hi Pat

Valiant has answered the question ...cheers to him

Despite the good subject matter , the resin does not compare to for example a Hawk Miniauresor A Alexandros casting , there are no spots on those ......saying that once primer has been used its fined

There as a few airholes but easily dealt with

WELCOME to PF as well good to have you with us

Nap
    patmaquette likes this.
  17. PLG Active Member

Nap

You're making a good job. With hindsight I should have cast the apostiles as part of the body rather than seperate parts - something to remember for the next one I do. I am also changing the type of resin which I have been using which will make a difference.

Here is a link to a page on my website which provides details about regimental colours. The information is split into two parts; the first part are details of colours I have been able to verify from more than one non-website source, while the second part is where I have found the information from only one source.

https://sarnia-miniatures.co.uk/i/ecw-regimental-coat-colours

Peter
    patmaquette and Nap like this.
  18. grasshopper Guest

Canada
    Nice stuff..like the rework..quite evocative
    Nap likes this.
  19. Nap Forum Moderator

England
    Hi Guys

Quick iffy pic....now all together , reworked jacket a little before setting the hand/ musket into place

Next stop...the black primer

Stay tuned

image.jpeg

Nap
  20. patmaquette Member

England
    Many thanks for the explanation, Valiant. My next figure - which will be a bust - has lots of air holes just below the surface which have/are being a real nuisance. So my reaction on seeing dots on a casting puts me off buying - but now I know the reason needn't be something to worry about.

Many thanks for the welcome, Nap. I'm getting to find my way around the PF site and very much enjoying working on figurines again after a long absence: I have a lot to catch up on!

Cheers,
    Pat
    Borek, Nap and valiant like this.