1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Afrika Korps (Officer) - Alpine 1/35th

Discussion in 'Brutal Honesty - Critique Center' started by smudger1960, Aug 3, 2014.

1. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    I've completely stepped out of my comfort zone with this little project, its been over 20yrs since I painted 1/35th figures, this is a figure I completed for an upcoming BMSS event where club members were challenged to do something different from the norm, luckily for me I got AFVs, I built many diorama's back in the mid 80s to early 90s so I was looking forward to the challenge,as this is a figure forum I havnt bothered with photos of the diorama,only the figure.
    The figure is from the Alpine 1/35th range and very good they are as well,the amount of detail that goes into these figures is amazing,however this is a complete one off for me and I wont be undertaking anything like this again.
    The figure was base coated in GW acrylics and finished and weathered with oils, I'd be interested to hear peoples views on it :(

afrika korps 001.JPG afrika korps 002.JPG afrika korps 005.JPG afrika korps 006.JPG View attachment 166097 afrika korps 009.JPG

Thanks for looking in

Brian (y)
    Kevtk135, Tommi, Viking Bob and 17 others like this.
  2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Lovely work Brian.(y)
  3. swralph A Fixture

Excellent painting,love the dusty look.
  4. maco61 A Fixture

Italy
    Very nice paintjob.
    Ciao by Maco
  5. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    That looks really nice, Brian. I think you've done a great job. As said above, the dusty look is very effective and the whole thing has an interesting variety of colours to it that really brings it to life, but without being overly bright & gaudy. If I were being picky and searching for something to criticise, maybe some of the darker shading on the jacket is a tad exaggerated. But could I do it any better? Not on your nelly .... so I'll just shut up and say "it's a cracker"!

- Steve
  6. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Cheers Carl for the kind comments
  7. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks Ralph for your comments
  8. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks for looking marco and your kind comments
  9. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks Steve for your comments,it's been an awfully long time since I've painted figures this small,I understand where yo are coming from with the shading,I agree that it could have been toned down a little in the shadow areas,however I won't have to worry about this again mate as I have no interest in painting any 1/35th figures again,as I said It was a complete one off,it appealed to me 30yrs ago but not anymore.
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  10. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Stunning work.

marc
  11. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks Marc (y)
  12. TEZZA Member

United-Kingdom
    Excellent paint job Brian, look forward to seeing it in the flesh.
    See you Tuesday.
  13. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Tel,see you tomorow
  14. Don Well-Known Member

Amazing bit of work Brian and just so different from your normal (?) work. Love your shading and really like your dust effect.
    Will we be seeing this at Euro or do you still insist on going out with your wife?

Don
  15. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    It won't matter now Don because I now know you're not coming and I'm only going for the one day mate
  16. T50 A Fixture

United-States
    Nice work! Congrats!
  17. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Brian

Looks great mate and all credit to you pushing the scales .... a heck of a lot of detail as you say , like the dusty look and the scarf adds a nice touch of colour

Thanks for sharing

Nap
  18. JonH Active Member

I'm only a couple of years late here.Great painting. The dusty worn look is fantastic - your trademark?
    Can you still remember the oil mixes-particularly for his jacket?
    Jon
  19. oldtrousers PlanetFigure Supporter

That came out really nice! I'm not keen on painting a 1/35 figure as it's been about 15 years for me, but seeing this does give me motivation.

Scott
  20. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    I missed that one Brian, excellent painting.
    Regards