1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Afghanistan Para bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by 1969, Jan 28, 2010.

1. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    this is one i finished a couple of weeks ago and was a bust bought off e-bay by a seller claiming this was a Maurice Corry unfinished master that he bought and had someone finish. Poor quality casting meant alot of preperation with this one but it was worth the effort as i liked the bust. I have added the isignia patches as none were present on the original bust to represent a memeber of 2 Para.
    Face done in oils and rest done with acrylics.
    I had problems getting the contrst right with this one and with help from Rick Brownlee(Kansaskid) i made some changes to the shadows to increase them, still not quite there but getting better as i struggle with contrast.
    One thing i might add to this bust is a belt to the GPMG to show he is deploying on patrol or maybe returning.

Critique most welcome.

Steve(y)

Attached Files:

Steve Bearpark, Ropi, Hardy and 7 others like this.
  2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Great job on the shemagh, the rest of it is spot on as well.
    Carl.
  3. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Steve,
    Like the way you've painted the 16AA Bde patch, & the desert camo.
    Chris.(y)
  4. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    Looking good, mate. . .

Hey Steve:

I was wondering if and when you would post this bust. I'll have to say that
    the pictures are much clearer on this web site, than the ones I saw in the
    e-mail note (JPEGs). Even more impressive. Excellent face tones, and that
    scarf pattern is of particular note. . . that part alone could drive an old
    heimer like me to the Funny Farm. Whew, big time.

Also, with these pictures I particularly noticed the well rendered weapon. It
    really looks like metal and is well done, . . . yet easy for these old eyes
    to overlook. Well done.

Best regards,

rick
  5. rheath Active Member

South-Africa
    Very nicely done in all aspects, like it a lot, RobH(y)
  6. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Excellent painting Steve. A great tribute to the paras.
  7. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Steve, great painting , especially like the camo and detail work on the badges.(y)(y)

Cheers Ken
  8. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Steve!

Gotta say i like what you have done with this... i especially like the face/sunglasses

Mark
  9. BobLff257 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Steve,

Thats painted really well, I like very much, congratulations,

Rob.
  10. specmod Active Member

Australia
    Very Nice

I love what you have done with this bust, very inpressive. Nice to see another version of this. Top Work

Cheers Andrew
  11. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks everyone for your comments on the bust, it was an enjoyable one to do once painting comenced.

Andrew.. From what i gather from the owner this bust is being pulled out of production now so lucky you got one when you did mate.

All the best,

Steve(y)
  12. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    Great work, Steve.
    Excellent piece!

Mitsutaka
  13. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Mitsutaka thankyou for your comment on the bust, much appreciated.

Steve(y)
  14. ubbi Active Member

Italy
    Very beautiful painting , very realistic, like the face and the sunglasses (y)

cheers

stefano
  15. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Stefano thanks for the comment and as for the face i have decided i am more of an oils man for flesh work, this is the 3rd face i have done in oils and i much prefer it over acrylics although i will stick with acrylic for everything else.

thanks,

Steve(y)
  16. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Excellent painted bust Steve! Your paintwork gets better and better. (y)
    I like especially the scarf, face and sunglasses!

Cheers,
    Marcel.
  17. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Marcel thanks mate, i painted the scarf and face first and then struggled with the uniform a bit, i am starting to enjoy painting now and am looking forward to the next one.

All the best mate,

Steve(y)
  18. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very Nice indeed

I bought this figure also and thanks for posting so I can see what he looks like painted. The face tones, shemagh, badges are superb and I particularly like the realism of the helmet, pretty awsome.
    Can I ask if you added the sheen to the glasses with paint or is it natural reflection? I was going to attempt a polarisation on these using inks of orange and purple.
    I know you asked for critiques and you are feeling some more work needs to be done. Can I suggest you have the same contrast of camo in the uniform as the helmet. From the pic it seems the uniform looks to be only desert yellow and no camo. Perhaps if this could be done you might feel a bit happier with it.
    Overall though a really brilliant job. Thanks for sharing.
  19. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Grant thanks for the words on the bust mate, i am going to work more on the uniform especially the cammo pattern which i feel isnt present enough. I really appreciate your critique and welcome it.
    I am also going to add an ammo belt to the gimpie to make him appear as though he has returned from patrol.

If you need any reference for your own bust give me a PM as i have quite a bit from this one.

As for the ballistic glass`s i just painted them with gloss black and added the reflections with an off-white.

Look forward to seeing your rendition of this bust.

Steve(y)
  20. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Steve,
    He looks hot and dusty.
    Cheers
    Andy