1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Afghan Girl (wip 2)

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Ferris, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Ferris A Fixture

Hi Pedro, thanks man!

Thanks a lot Maurizio!

Hi Jason, thanks for having such a good look. I recognise the issues you mention. The thing is what I have now is the result of quite some experimenting, during which I tried the things you mention. First, I had the eyes indeed a bit more an olive colour, even including a orangy hue seen in some versions of the print. But when I added the pupil, I found the overall effect 'in the flesh' too dark. In my sixth try I deliberately overdid it, admittedly a bit out of frustration.... I agree that it deviates from the original, but in scale this bust is quite small and that tones the effect down a bit.
    Yeah the directions of the irises, gee, that was a journey! They have to be at the right place in the eye to mimick the photograph, they have to show their full circle, and there should be no cross-eyed effect! I don't know how many times I did them, and doing them one more time will take a year off my lifespan, so no way, haha!! :-0. Seriously, in trying to meet the three criteria, one is bounded by the sculpt. IMHO the eyes should have been 5% or 10% larger to allow bigger irises for example. It is an excellent and beautiful sculpt, don't get me wrong! But it is not a scaled down version of the real Afghan girl and I think it is hard to change direction of the eyes, without affecting the other two aspects.
    So, basically, my response is I am too chicken to change these things! :)

Noted about the catchlight... The issue is nagging in the back of my head and will probably spoil part of my weekend, haha!

Thanks again for commenting!

Cheers,
    Adrian
  2. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    This is top work Adrian. I'd be very cautious about doing anything much to the face or eyes. Brians point about a catchlight might be worth going for, it'd give a 'hard' focus to the stare as in the photo. I'd try it on the computer first though.
    Cheers
    Derek
    Ferris likes this.
  3. Ferris A Fixture

Thanks Derek.
    Good idea to test in on a digital image first! Thanks for that.

Cheers,
    Adrian
  4. Showlen Active Member

United-States
    I think you have achieved the likeness perfectly! Especially with the skin tones and the piercing stare.

Ron W.
  5. T-34/85 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    This is a fantastic rendition of this bust, great job! I too, if I could paint at your level, would be hesitant in changing anything. Is there any way to get a copy of this from a distributor?
  6. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I would leave the eyebrows as they are Adrian until you finish the hair as they might not need any further work .
    also when the clothing is finished that will change change things a bit also ,Brian suggests catchlights I don't know if it needs that,
    but that is because when I try to do them they look like cataracts :)
    Beautiful work so far (y)

Ron
  7. Ferris A Fixture

Ron W, Thanks for your nice comment!

T-34/85, thanks a lot! the bust is sculpted by Romain van den Bogaert and he sold some copies via email. Maybe you can contact him via his blog: http://plubakter.blogspot.nl/

Ron T, thanks for checking the eyebrows. Yes, I'll leave them as they are. Still not sure about catchlights.... ;-)

Thanks for leaving a comment or for 'liking' guys!

Adrian
  8. Iguazzu A Fixture

Spain
    The best version of this bust so far! The skin tone is amazing. A real masterpice!

As sugest, I'll add a little clear point (near to white) in the eye, to give a more realistic effect.

congrats!
  9. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Fantastic work so far Adrian, think you have captured the look of the photo very well.

Cheers David
  10. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Despite your difficulties, you've got a real looker (y)!!

Joe
  11. ju2003 Member

12. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Looks great, fleshtones are exactly what I wanted to see, compliments!!!
  13. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Wonderful! The addition of the eyebrows makes it!

All the best,
    Dan
  14. dinovision79 Active Member

Great job Adrian, the face turned out perfect!
    If you are after a specific image, like a photo, it's extremely difficult to sculpt and paint it down every small detail, just enjoy this beauty instead!

Cheers, Denes
  15. custer760 Well-Known Member

Hi Adrian.
    absolutely second everything that has been writen regarding the beauty of this rendition!!! Bravo !!! What was your mix for the skin tone and with which colour did you base-coat ???
    Love it.
    Regards
    Pete
  16. Ferris A Fixture

Alex, thank you, I'm honoured by your remark.:notworthy:

David, thanks!:happy:

Thank you Joe! (y)

ju2003: Thanks!

Christos, I'm glad you like her!

Dan, thanks very much!

Denes, Thanks! Yeah, it both helps, and is an extra burden if there is a reference photograph, I think. And I can't imagine how difficult this must have been to sculpt. I have great respect for Romain van den Bogaert!

Pete, thanks a lot! Below is a picture of the colours I used on the skin. I did not really follow a clean process, and part of it I forgot, because I put the bust aside for some time several times (and didn't take notes...:shifty:) . I initially underpainted in Brown Sand. A couple of things were important for the result so far:
    - When I didn't like the result I overpainted, but never totally opaque so that the old layers always peeked through.
    - After a high highlight, at some point I used a veil of Orange Brown 981 over them. This was important to get a warm, glowy finish.
    - 982 Cavalry Brown was an important midtone on the main shadows of the face. It is a reddish tone that gave life to the face.
    I hope this is of some use. Sorry to be sketchy.

Cheers,
    Adrian

PS: I had a first shot at the hair. Not sure about it yet and will judge it again after doing her clothes.

Attached Files:

Meehan34, Joe55, NickM and 1 other person like this.
  17. Patrick Kamsma Active Member

Netherlands
    Nice work so far, Adrian.
    A difficult subject, but you got it spot on.
  18. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Adrian, this is just beautiful. Lovely subject matter, and the painting superb.
    Fantastic work!
    Cheers
  19. Marina Shtey Active Member

Kazakstan
    Surprising work!
  20. Ferris A Fixture

Patrick, Nick and Marina: My apologies for notresponding earlier! Thanks so much for leaving a comment.

Painting has been on the back burner for a couple of weeks now unfortunately. Work and stuff.... Nevertheless here's some progress.
    I'm working on her coat now. The base is a 50:50 mix of Vallejo Cavalry Brown 982 + German Camo Black 822. It gives a nice faded brick red.

I'm afraid progress will coninue to be slow for quite a while. Will be moving house soon.

Let me use the opportunity of this post to wish you all a Merry Christmas, and a happy, healthy and productive New Year!

Cheers,
    Adrian

Attached Files:

NickM likes this.