WIP Critique Afghan Girl (wip 2)

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Ferris, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Ferris A Fixture

Hi,

Did some more work on the face. Smoothed transitions, pushed up contrast a bit and did the lips.
    While fiddling with the eyes I caused some reddish staining in her lower right eye that needs fixing.:whistle:

What do you think of the eyebrows?
    I did them temporarily with oils and if I still like the look of them tomorrow will make them more definitive.

Cheers,
    Adrian

IMGP7454.JPG
    IMGP7458 - kopie.JPG
    IMGP7458.JPG
  2. Ferris A Fixture

Double post deleted

Attached Files:

pmfs and ChaosCossack like this.
  3. Stephen Ward Active Member

United-States
    Love it dude. That stare is eerie and it helps give an already great piece that little something extra.
  4. Ferris A Fixture

Thanks Stephen!

Adrian
  5. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Beautiful work.... The eyes are uncanny

Colin
    Ferris likes this.
  6. Martin Rohmann A Fixture

Germany
    Nearly incredible! Bravo!!!

Cheers
    Ferris likes this.
  7. housecarl A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Some of the nicest skin tones I've seen.
    Carl.(y)
    Ferris likes this.
  8. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Superb job - everything looks spot on!

Colin
    Ferris likes this.
  9. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    That is just amazing Adrian. You show a great eye for colour, tones and detail. BTW the eyebrows are great.
    Ferris likes this.
  10. Helm A Fixture

England
    This is beyond good I wouldn't alter a thing about this... Of course I wouldn't have been able to get anywhere near this standard either :ROFLMAO: Great work.

Steve
    Ferris likes this.
  11. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Best one i've seen yet.I would give her eyes a catchlight on the right hand side as you look at her as it would bring her eyes to life.
    Brian
    Ferris likes this.
  12. Jazz A Fixture

England
    I agree with everything that is being said here. Best rendition of this bust that I have ever seen. I agree fully with Brian that a catchlight will give the eyes a little extra, but you have captured the colour and stare of the eyes perfectly. Well done. (y)
    Ferris likes this.
  13. Maki Active Member

Croatia
    Great work! The eyebrown look really nice. An amazing job all together.

Mario
    Ferris likes this.
  14. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Perfect. Change nothing. No catchlights.
    I prefer a glossy varnish into the eyes. That gives you a natural catchlight in everyway you look at this bust.

Marc
    Ferris and Helm like this.
  15. Helm A Fixture

England
    I use gloss for eyes anyway as you say makes natural catchlights and I need all the help I can get
    Ferris likes this.
  16. Ferris A Fixture

Colin, thank you!

Martin, thanks for the compliment!

Carl, thanks for your kind remark.

Colin (crf), thank you!

Grant, thanks for the nice remarks. Ok, I'll leave the eyebrows, just have to give them slightly more body and get rid of the gloss from the oils.

Steve, thanks a lot! Not so sure though...there's always room for fiddling! I love to fiddle...

Brian, gee, thanks! Thanks for the kind comment. I haven't been successful with catchlights so far and am relictant to try it here to be honest. The plan is to use gloss varnish, but I'll think about it a bit.

Jazz, thanks so much for your flattering comments. I guess my frustrations with painting those eyes a zillion times had some effect, pfew..

Mario, thanks! Thanks for the check on the eyebrows.

Marc, thank you very much. To catchlight, or not to catchlight, that'll be the question this weekend.... I tend to go gloss however. Choices, choices, argh!

Steve, yeah, that's what I like about the gloss option too, although this is typically a bust that is viewed from one main angle and a catchlight would not look out of place.

Thanks for the nice comments guys, really motivating!

Cheers,
    Adrian
  17. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Hi Adrian!

Your paint is so likeness that leave me confused.:joyful:

Well done!
    Pedro
  18. mao A Fixture

Italy
    Wonderful paintjob!!!!
  19. JasonB A Fixture

United-States
    First I think its VERY nicely done.
    If I were to recommend any changes to make it even more like the original, it would be a couple of changes to the eyes. They do look stunning. A little too stunning/bright IMHO. I would go with a more olive green in place of the bright green to more closely match the photo. The second thing that took me a little while to catch on to is that in the photo, she is staring directly back at the camera/viewer. The pupils on yours are looking more down and to the right. Nothing wrong with that, but I think that one difference changes the overall effect of her gaze a bit. I would do the catch light. A figure this size isn't going to catch the light in the eyes the same way as the full size original regardless of how glossy the eyes are, its 1:1 scale light shining on a 1/9-1/10 (?) scale bust. Its a very prominent aspect of the eyes in the photo so I would add it.
    Again, nicely done.
  20. Jeff T Well-Known Member

Australia
    Just superb Adrian!

Beautiful work.(y)

Cheer's,
    Jeff.