1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Advice. V. Enthusiasm.

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by Richard61, Apr 22, 2013.

1. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    If a lifetime of modelling/painting/sculpting and 20 years of industrial experience has taught me anything at all, its that nothing is too precious to start again if you dont feel its going the way you want it to! Heaven knows I do it all the time!! Its been said before, but there is no such thing as a failure, cos the next one will be that much better and the next and so on. I suppose what Im trying to say is that we are our own worst critics really, but striving for that perfect finish is what keeps us interested in the hobby and long may it continue!
    Just my twopennyw'th!
    Steve(y)
    Funky50, ChaosCossack and Helm like this.
  2. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Rich,
    I guess I will never worry a Euro judge or any other either unless one upsets me:oops:. I still consider myself a novice with only a couple of years in. The best advice I was given was step back or put down when it's not going your way, don't force it, if your in the wrong frame of mind as this will transfer into your work. For me sometimes this break runs into months so I loose consistancy. Compare your latest work to your first and look how far you have come, it's all too easy to forget just how much improvement you have made if you don't have a reference. As stated before sometimes we are our own worst critics and this can turn into negativity if we don't seek help or advive from our fellow planeteers - they have all been through it and it's the lesson's learnt with age and hours put in that helps the likes of us.

I also side with Steve (Helm) I too like to have a few on the go so I can interchange, does'nt mean to say that something else will not jump in unexpectedly.

Make, convert or paint what you love and inspires you, at the end of the day you are doing this for you and remember it's fun, enjoyable and relaxing - it's your hobby away from the 9-5 grind and our escape from life if only for an hour or two each time. If you don't find it fun, enjoyable and relaxing then do what Pete said women and booze. :)

I have stood my figures next to gold winning modellers/painters and while in awe of them, rather than go on a downer I get inspired to improve, especially when you talk to them as they give you nothing but help, tips and encouragement, as said they started at your and my level once.

Keep asking the questions and keep posting your work that's the core of this forum.
    cheers
    Richie(y)
    crf, ChaosCossack and Helm like this.
  3. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Hear hear Richie
    Youve distilled it down to what it's all about... relaxation and enjoyment... If women and booze could be seamlessly folded into the process, this would be the perfect hobby

Colin
    Funky50 likes this.
  4. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looks like I have the perfect hobby then.:whistle:
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  5. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Do share... We'd all like to have the perfect hobby :sour: ;)
    Funky50 likes this.
  6. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  7. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Richie likes this.
  8. Richard61 Active Member

England
    My other half and I don't really drink, except for coffee, we're adicted to that. She likes to see figures and models that have been well made and painted, although she has no interest in trying it herself. Her favourites are the Gothic style, semi naked fantasy females ;)(y).........Her main failing is that she's a terrible critic, everything I do looks good (she says) even if I know I've made a balls of it (n)
    All in all I've no real complaints. :whistle::coffee::cool:

Richard.
    Richie likes this.
  9. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Mine is a terrible critic too. Every figure of mine she looks at she says "nice....but the eyes are crossed!" I know if I ever get one right and don't cross its eyes, I will hear the dreaed "You've changed!." Wouldn't trade her for anything! :)

Other Colin
    Richie likes this.
  10. mcsnead17 Member

United-States
    no with me it is wonderful now that my mother passed away last year because she was completely indifferent to the hobby what is why is i am re-starting the hobby now.